Sunday, 4 May 2014

The Reading Queue: May - the YALC edition


The Reading Queue is a monthly meme where you share what books you plan to read for the month. You can hop to other blogs and see what others are reading and maybe find someone reading the same thing as you! Or you can ask for people to vote on what you should read next if you can’t decide.
The Reading Queue is hosted by Book Tasty and Books: A true story.

Before we see what I plan to read this month, let's take a recap on last months Reading Queue and see how I did...

Mutant City by Steve Feasey [review]★★★
Bombmaker by Claire McFall [review]★★★★
Stitch Up by Sophie Hamilton [review to come]
Fragments by Dan Wells
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani [DNF]
Department 19: Battle Lines by Will Hill [currently reading]


The Fearless by Emma Pass [DNF]
A Betty's Pledge by Emma Husher [DNF]
Expiration Day by William Campbell Powell [DNF]
Far From You by Tess Sharpe [DNF]
Adaptation by Malinda Lo [DNF]
The Recruit by Robert Muchamore [review]★★★
The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa [review]★★★
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith [review]★★★★
Eversea by Natasha Boyd [DNF]

I also managed to squeeze in the following books that were review books that didn't make The Reading Queue last month
After the Storm by Marie Landry [review] ★★★★★
Finding My Way by Heidi McLaughlin [review]★★★★★
Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski [review]★★★
Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson [review]★★★★★
Sweet by Erin McCarthy [just for fun read]★★★★
Believe by Erin McCarthy [just for fun read]★★★★

Nash by Jay Crownover [review]★★★★★
Just Breathe by Tamara Mataya [review to come]

I had a disappointing start to the beginning of The Reading Queue last month, and a disappointing end. I DNF a few books before I actually found some I really enjoyed.
  • The School for Good and Evil: I thought the idea behind this story was great, it just didn't work for me and I found myself not really caring who was good or evil, or what even happened to them when they got to school
  • Far From You: I read half way through this book but it just didn't click with me.
  • Adaptation: This had a fantastic beginning that I just couldn't get enough of and I could not read fast enough to find out what happens next. But once they got home it sort of fizzled out for me and I found it hard to find the enthusiasm to continue reading.
  • Eversea: I felt like this book wasn't really getting anywhere for me, I felt like it was just plodding along with no real destination in mind.
  • The Fearless: This is the first book by Emma that I have read, and while the synopsis sounded great, I just couldn't get into this book at all :(
  • A Betty's Pledge: I went into this knowing that is was NA and erotic (which I don't tend to read) and surprisingly I ended up putting this down as a DNF for the opposite reason. I got about 25% through this book and there was far too much talking than action.
  • Expiration Date: This is written in a diary format, which I didn't expect or like. I also thought the writing was too childish for the protagonist.

Now we get to take a look at what I plan to read this month. As you can see from the title of this post, this is a special edition. For those of you who don't know, at the London Film and Comic Convention in London this year, there will be a special area for a Young Adult Literature Convention, there are a lot of authors going that I actually own the books for, but have yet to read them, so this Reading Queue will be a mixture of review books and YALC authors.


The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton
A Witch in Love by Ruth Warburton
A Witch Alone by Ruth Warburton
Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton
Diary of a Crush: French Kiss by Sarra Manning
Diary of a Crush: Kiss and Make Up by Sarra Manning
Diary of a Crush: Sealed With A Kiss by Sarra Manning
Girl, Missing by Sophie McKenzie
Sister, Missing by Sophie McKenzie
Geekhood by Andy Robb
Soulmates by Holly Bourne
The Elites by Natasha Ngan
Flyaway by Lucy Christopher
The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale
Noble Conflict by Malorie Blackmna
Rolling Dice by Beth Reekles
Red Ink by Julie Mayhew
Follow Me Down by Tanya Byrne
The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher
Falling Fast by Sophie McKenzie

There is also going to be an event called For The Fringe, which you can find out more information about here and here. Again I have some books by the authors that are confirmed or possibly going

Slated by Teri Terry
The Look by Sophia Bennett
Cracks by Caroline Green
Fragments by Caroline Green
Hold Your Breath by Caroline Green
Acid by Emma Pass
Salvage by Keren David

I also have my netgalley review books to read, and a few physical review copies too
The Recruit by Fiona Palmer
The Girl Who Was Saturday Night by Heather O'Neill
Blonde Ops by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman
Will the Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up? by Sara Hantz
Boys Like You by Juliana Stone
Torn Away by Jennifer Brown

Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn
The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst
365 Skinny Smoothies by Daniella Chace
Summer's Shadow by Anna Wilson
Glaze by Kim Curran
Toxic Heart by Theo Lawrence

I know there are a TONNE of books this month, but the YALC and forthefringe books will be a permanent fixture till July, this way I get to keep track of my progress and also share it with you. So taking them out, my Reading Queue this month isn't really that big.


What's on your Reading Queue this month?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! You're May Reading Queue is awesome! I know you have some related to the festival, but seriously! You can do it!

    Also, I don't think I realized you lived in the UK! My husband and I are considering moving to Manchester in the future...loosely considering, but we love the UK! What area are you from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence :) I also tweeted you about where I live :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...