Friday, 20 June 2014

Review: Code Red Lipstick by Sarah Sky


Title: Code Red Lipstick
Author: Sarah Sky
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Series: Jessica Cole: Model Spy #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Scholastic Children’s Books
Publication Date: 5th June 2014

Tell Me About It
Jessica Cole is just your average teenager, except when she's strutting down the glamorous catwalks of Paris. When her father, a former spy, vanishes mysteriously, Jessica takes matters into her own hands. She's not just good at striking a pose, she's going to take on MI6 and beat them at their own game. Following her father's trail, Jessica's investigation lands her hot on the heels of a deranged former supermodel, Allegra Knight, who plans to unleash mayhem on an unsuspecting teenage population with the launch of her new miracle face cream, Teenosity.
My Thoughts
When I was contacted in regards to reviewing Code Red Lipstick I didn't hesitate in saying yes, it sounded like a fun read, with some really great detective work. The first chapter of the book had me worried over what was happening to Jessica, it also gave me a scene that I could not wait to reach and get the bigger picture.

Jessica is endearing, head strong and determined to find her dad, and clear his name. She manages to get her modelling company to snag her a job in Paris, giving her an alibi and enabling her to search for her father better. The beginning of Code Red Lipstick started out great and for the fist quarter of the book I was hooked, I needed to know what lengths Jessica would go to in order to get to Paris, how would she manage to worm her way out of the grips of MI6, and would her first mission be successful?

The characters of Code Red Lipstick were easy to like, some of them I instantly disliked, while some of them actually had me fooled over their intentions, and I like how Sarah has kept to guessing over who is on which side. The progression of the story was good, there were some parts I think it felt too rushed, but generally it was well paced and flowed well. However I thought that some things didn't seem believable. One example is she manages to sneak into a high security building without getting caught. Yes she has the use of some of her gadgets, but I find it highly unlikely that a teenager would be able to get away with doing this.

Code Red Lipstick was a good read that was enjoyable, but I do think I was expecting too much from it, I was expecting more than I actually got. However one thing is clear after reading Code Red Lipstick, I need her gadgets, an  iPad that let's you view heat signatures, or magnetise things, a cool lipstick laser, and more. Sign me up to test out any of these.


Purchase Links: Amazon USA|Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...