Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Review: Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin


Title: Deadly Curiosities
Author: Gail Z. Martin
Author Info: Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Deadly Curiosities #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Solaris
Publication Date: 25th June 2014

Tell Me About It
Cassidy Kincaide owns Trifles & Folly, an antique/curio store and high-end pawn shop in Charleston, South Carolina that is more than what it seems. Dangerous magical and supernatural items sometimes find their way into mortal hands or onto the market, and Cassidy is part of a shadowy Alliance of mortals and mages whose job it is to take those deadly curiosities out of circulation.

Welcome to Trifles & Folly, an antique and curio shop with a dark secret. Proprietor Cassidy Kincaide continues a family tradition begun in 1670—acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items. It’s the perfect job for Cassidy, whose psychic gift lets her touch an object and know its history. Together with her business partner Sorren, a 500 year-old vampire and former jewel thief, Cassidy makes it her business to get infernal objects off the market. When mundane antiques suddenly become magically malicious, it’s time for Cassidy and Sorren to get rid of these Deadly Curiosities before the bodies start piling up.
My Thoughts
When I was offered Deadly Curiosities for review I jumped at the chance. The cover of this boo looks great, and the synopsis had me wanting to know more, and wanting to know what this paranormal activity was caused by.
The minute I began reading Deadly Curiosities I was quickly introduced to Cassidy and Teag, they run the shop but also keep their eyes open for various paranormal antiques using their gifts. Cassidy can see the antiques history and what happened to it, and can then categorise it into its threat level, deal with it herself, or send if to Sorren who will dispose of it. Teag can do wonders on the dark net, but also able to weave spells for various reasons. I really like how magic is interwoven with trinkets and heirlooms, and that each of these characters that work in the antique shop has a unique ability to deal with said objects. The first chapter alone had me very intrigued over what was going to happen.

The progression of Deadly Curiosities went at a nice pace and I really liked that the further I read, the more that spooky events occurred. Seeing Cassidy, Teag, and Anthony investigate these activities and how they actually work was interesting, and while this group isn't exactly all powerful they do quite well on most investigations until the real help is needed, in the form of Sorren and a demon hunter.

The characters were easy to like and make a connection with. I found myself emotionally invested in the outcome of each one, even the dog, and when they were facing the badest, strongest, entity, I was so nervous, I had butterflies in my stomach worried over what would happen to them.

Deadly Curiosities is a great combination of paranormal and mystery, with tales of the past coming back to haunt the present, a mysterious presence, and a possible serial killer. I found myself enjoying the book more than I did, however I felt occasionally it was too long winded, that it needed more action and less talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...