Monday, 23 June 2014

Review: Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan


Title: Flirty Dancing
Author: Jenny McLachlan
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Publication Date: 3rd July 2014

Tell Me About It
Bea Hogg is shy but fiery inside. When national dance competition Starwars comes to her school looking for talent, she wants to sign up. It's just a shame her best friend agreed to enter with school super-cow Pearl Harris. Bea will fight back! But when school hottie, Ollie Matthews, who also happens to be Pearl’s boyfriend, decides to enter the competition with Bea, she will have more than a fight on her hands.

This warm, nuanced, hilarious story about friendship, fortitude . . . and dancing is impossible not to fall in love with. Jenny’s voice is fresh and convincing, and she handles both darker and lighter elements of the story with equal panache.
My Thoughts
The cover of Flirty Dancing is what initially drew my attention, I love how bright and fun it looks, so of course I had to find out more. After reading the synopsis I decided that I HAD to read this book, it sounded just as good as the cover looked and is possibly one of the few books that has a synopsis that matches the cover perfectly.
I want to get this out of the way now, I will admit to nearly giving up on this book when I began reading it. I felt like the characters were childish, but I am glad I persevered and made it to the end. While I wouldn't rate this as being one of my favourite books, I did enjoy it. I also won't say too much about what happens, but I did enjoy the progress of the plot, it wasn't rushed or unbelievable, and I like how it all ended.

Bea was a loveable character that I wanted to hug, especially when she is being the victim of Pearl's unwanted attention, I wish she could put away her shy Bea and bring out the Bea from home and stand up for herself. I absolutely loved her sister Emma, and I love how Bea is with her, even though the wake up calls aren't necessary the most appealing wake up calls in the world, how Bea deals with them is beyond amazing, I know for a fact if it was me whoever dare to wake me up would be pushed straight off the bed and onto the floor, no matter who they were or how old they are.

Pearl is a bully and thinks she is Queen Bee, however the fact that Bea is dancing with Ollie certainly made her unhappy and feel very threatened, and only increases the bullying towards Bea, although I was glad when Ollie decided to stick with Bea. Ollie is the unassuming person in the background to start with, but I do like that even before he is partnered up with Bea, she rescues Emma's doll for her. Lulu was someone how was an instant hit for me. I love her personality and her dress sense and style, it is unique and out dated, but definitly fits her to a T. Kat I think could have done more for Bea, you don't give up on your friends just to stay in the popular clique, and I felt very disappointed I her behaviour towards Bea for abandoning her and being too easily swayed.

Flirty Dancing was a quick read, that after the initial bumpy start I found myself enjoying. I love how fun this book is, but also has serious issues, like bullying and loss. I did have to look up a few dance moves that were described in Flirty Dancing so I could get a better idea of what Bea and Ollie were trying to do. Following Bea and Ollie on their journey to the competition certainly kept me entertained, and as the final drew near I was so nervous for this duo and even worried that they would not pull of all of the moves they wanted to do. Upon finishing Flirty Dancing I thought that the ending was fitting, not only for Bea and Ollie, but for how Bea has come so far in her self belief, and she is an inspiration to others in a similar situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...