Thursday, 19 June 2014

Review: Glimpse by Kendra Leighton


Title: Glimpse
Author: Kendra Leighton
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Much-in-Little
Publication Date: 19th June 2014

Tell Me About It
Liz just wants to be normal. Her life is anything but.

Seven years ago Liz lost her mother and ten years' worth of memories. When she inherits the infamous Highwayman Inn, she hopes the move will be a fresh start. Then she meets Zachary. Zachary who haunts her by night and in dreams; who makes her question everything she is and wants to be; who seems scarcely real - yet makes her feel so alive.

Inspired by Alfred Noyes' classic poem 'The Highwayman', Glimpse is a ghost story, a love story, and a story of a girl fighting for her future by confronting her terrible past.
My Thoughts
When I first heard and saw Glimpse I knew I had to read it. Not only did Glimpse sound like a a great spooky read, I love how haunting the cover is, it just fit perfectly with the synopsis.
Glimpse is based on a poem, The Highway Man, but it's not one I have read, or heard of. Thankfully the poem is in the beginning of Glimpse so I was able to read it and get an idea of the inspiration and story behind Glimpse.

Liz has inherited the Highwayman Inn after her granddad passed away, together with her Father, they move home and relocate to the inn. Not only is Liz faced with living in a new place that holds a lot of history for her, she also has to start a new school and pretend to be 'normal', that she doesn't see these glimpses. I felt sorry for Liz, she is seeing things that no-one else can see, and she is finding it hard to be a normal girl, a normal teenager, even her own father is having difficulty understanding her, and this move felt like it had made her even more alone, more isolated.

Glimpse was an interesting read and while I wouldn't say I loved it, I did enjoy it. I like how Kendra has woven different aspects together, paranormal, romance, mystery, and made them work really well together. I like the paranormal aspect in Glimpse and although it wasn't as spooky as I would have liked, it definitely kept me intrigued as to what was going to happen in the story itself.

Scott was someone who I never really warmed up to. I personally felt like he thought he was God's gift to the world and thought far too much of himself, he was definitely up to something.
Zachary was a mystery and although you (eventually) know of his history I think he was one of the few people that I felt okay with. I love his attitude towards Liz and his old fashioned manners.

Do we learn why Liz sees glimpses? Why can she see Zachary like he is a normal human being? Do we get the answers why she can't remember anything before the crash? All of these questions and more are answered in the final chapters of Glimpse, and the answers were not something I was expecting, but I do love the twist. Glimpse is a great read for a d├ębut author and I am interested in seeing if Kendra has any more ideas up her sleeve.

Purchase Links: Amazon USA|Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...