Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Audiobook Review: The Child by Sebastian Fitzek


Title: The Child
Author: Sebastian Fitzek
Author Info: Website|News|Facebook|Twitter
Narrated By: Rupert Penry-Jones, Jack Boulter, Emilia Fox, Stephen Marcus, Robert Glenister, Andy Serkis
Running Time: 6 hrs and 56 mins
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
My name is Simon. I'm 10 years old. I'm a serial killer. Robert Stern (Rupert Penry-Jones), a successful defense attorney, doesn't know what lies in store for him when he agrees to meet a new client in a derelict estate on the outskirts of Berlin. Stern is more than surprised, when his old love interest and professional nurse Carina (Emilia Fox) presents him a ten year old boy as his new client. Simon (Jack Boulter), a terminally ill child, who is convinced he has murdered many men in a previous life.

Robert's surprise turns into horror when he and Carina find human remains in a cellar the boy has led them to. The remains of a man whose head has been split with an axe 15 years ago - just like Simon claimed he had. Things go from bad to worse within hours when Stern discovers more dead bodies, the investigating police officer Engler (Andy Serkis) starts to chase him as a suspect in the murder cases, and his own past comes to haunt him. Stern's friend and former criminal Andi Borchert (Stephen Marcus) is the only one to believe Stern and Carina. Hunted by the police, and led by Simon's memories, they start to investigate shady sub cultures of Berlin, and soon discover things that more gruesome than anything they could have imagined...

Audible Studios London presents a gripping audio dramatization by Sebastian Fitzek, Germany's most successful thriller writer, whose books are read around the world in more than 20 different languages.

This unabridged dramatization introduces listeners to a completely new approach to audio entertainment, a full-length dramatized book adaption with an original score and soundscapes from the heart of Berlin. Featuring amazing performances by a cast of over 20 actors in a breathtaking plot, The Child provides a truly immersive listening experience.
My Thoughts
I have not really heard of this author, so when I was asked to review The Child I had to do a bit of research first. Once that was done I quickly replied with a yes. The synopsis of this book is very intriguing, and I needed to know what it was all about. The minute it was downloaded I did not hesitate to make a start on it and I am pretty sure The Child is responsible for some strange dreams I had whilst going to sleep listening to this. I was hooked, plain and simple.

The Plot
The minute I began listening to The Child I was hooked. The addition of Simon and his strange memories of having murdered people before he was born was an interesting twist and I had to know the truth behind it. The story has so many twists and turns I was constantly trying to guess, not only what would happen, but also who was up to what. There were parts during The Child that I felt sick to my stomach with nerves, and then others relieved over what had happened. The ending of the book was not something I expected, and I will admit I actually shed a tear over two things that happened. Sebastian has done an amazing job at keeping you guessing, but also keeping you hooked and wanting to know more. The revelation over who this creepy voice was shocked me, not once did I guess it was this person.

The Narration
This is the second audiobook I have listened to that is dramatised, and I found myself really enjoying it. I liked how the main characters were all narrated by different people, adding an little bit of extra feeling to them. The narration of The Child was done perfectly, the characters, the background noises, everything, even down to the suspenseful music between chapters.

Overall
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed The Child, even with the strange dreams. It is a great blend of mystery, suspense, secrets, and betrayal. The Child is a must 'read'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...