Thursday, 10 July 2014

Review: Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor


Title: Maybe One Day
Author: Melissa Kantor
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 1st May 2014

Tell Me About It
Zoe and Olivia have always been best friends. And becoming professional ballerinas has always been their goal. But when they turn sixteen the unthinkable happens as Olivia is diagnosed with leukaemia. Falling in love, coping with school and falling out with each other - everything is thrown into a whole new light. A heartbreakingly bittersweet tragedy that reveals profound truths about loss, love and the friends who mean the world to you.
My Thoughts
After finishing reading Maybe One Day I have to admire how vague the synopsis is on the back of the book, and how much information is not given away. I went into this having some idea of what was going to happen, but didn't really have a definitive picture in mind.

Olivia and Zoe have been best friends for years, suddenly find themselves at a loss when there is no longer any room for them at NYBC. After failed attempts at soccer, Zoe is still trying to fine a new niche, a new thing she wants to do, but through it all, dance is the only answer she keeps coming back to. Olivia teaches dance at the rec centre, helping girls at risk, but also continuing what she loves, finding some way to be part of dancing.

There were of course a few characters that I never knew how to take, Calvin for one. He seemed aloof on some occasions, while others it really did seem like he was interested in how Zoe was dealing with Olivia's sickness. The cheerleaders, I disliked their personalities and their attitude, but what they do to help Olivia is a remarkable thing, and for that I have to give them some acknowledgement.

Maybe One Day is book seriously needs to come with a tissue warning. Melissa had somehow managed to draw you into the story, and find yourself so emotionally invested in the characters, that when the truth is revealed I broke my heart crying. Throughout this book I had in my mind how it would all end, and I was completely blind-sided when it didn't go as planned. It took me a while to actually get my head around the truth, I was so unprepared for this barrage of emotions to hit me the way it did.

Maybe One Day is a fantastic book that not only draws you in, forcing you to become so emotionally invested you don't want it to end, but also packs a punch and certainly knows how to surprise you. It is the must read book that should be on everyone's lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...