Friday, 25 July 2014

Review: Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie by Jeff Norton


Title: Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie
Author: Jeff Norton
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Middle Grade
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Publication Date: 7th August 2014

Tell Me About It
'My name is Adam Meltzer and the last thing I remember was being stung by a bee while swinging at a robot-shaped pinata on my twelfth birthday. I was dead before the candy hit the ground.'

Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie is narrated by the hilarious Adam Meltzer - pre-teen, worrywart, and now zombie. Adam's family gets the fright of their lives when he turns up at their door . . . three months after his funeral.

Soon Adam's back at school trying to fit in and not draw extra attention to himself, but when he sees his neighbour Ernesto transform into a chupacubra, and the beautiful Corina (Adam's number one mega-crush) turns out to be a (vegan) vampire, undead life is never going to be the same again.

A hilarious adventure caper - if Ferris Bueller met Shaun of the Dead - all about friendship and being yourself . . . even if you're undead.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie it was at a blogger event held at Faber Headquarters. Jeff was there and read a chapter of this book, and the whole room was in stitches laughing, I knew right then that I HAD to read this book.

As you can see from the cover, and the title, Adam Meltzer is a zombie, a recently returned zombie, and his arrival back home is met with some changes. His room now belongs to his sister, her old room is now a gym, all of his precious posters, clothes, belongings, have been sent to a charity shop. Obviously Adam is feeling a bit pushed out, but he makes the most of a bad situation, which also leads to the discovery of some secret identities of his neighbours, Corina, a vegan vampire and Ernesto, a chupacubra.

When I began reading Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie I didn't really know what to expect, and even though the back of the book introduces these two characters, I didn't really click onto the fact that they were real characters. However, ignoring my major fail in noticing the obvious, lets crack on with my review.
Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie was an hilarious, laugh out loud read. Adam makes a strangely perfect Zombie, OCD issues and all. I love how he is constantly evaluating the germ factors of things, and adding little annotations to words and explaining them at the bottom of the page, some of his explanations were hilariously funny.

Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie was a relatively quick read for me, but it is a perfect mixture of adventure, sleuthing, paranormal creatures, and more. I love how this recent band of friends works together so well, and occasionally comes up with some foolish ideas that somehow work. I love the addition of a little friend (with a great name) and how he helps out. The humour is easy to get for all ages, and Adam's obsession with pens for everything only adds to this whenever one is mentioned.

Jeff Norton has done it again. With a witty, hilarious read, Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie is sure to be a hit with readers of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...