Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Review: This Summer by Katlyn Duncan


Title: This Summer
Author: Katlyn Duncan
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina UK
Publication Date: 9th July 2014

Tell Me About It
Before college, before responsibilities, Hadley Beauman and best friend Lily are determined to have a summer to remember. There will be all the usual dramas - ex-boyfriends who don't seem to know what 'ex' means, pesky younger brothers with unrequited crushes, but what Hadley didn't anticipate was the out-of-the-blue return of the seriously hot boy-next-door, Will Carson. The boy who broke her heart when he skipped town two years ago.

Will may have shot up a foot and filled out (oh yes), but inside he carries the weight of guilt - for leaving, for coming back... Now he's just passing through to tie up loose ends but it's clear the old chemistry still crackles between him and Hadley. Trouble is, it's built on two years of lies...

This summer might just be the best time of their lives, but is Hadley ready for everything to change - again?
My Thoughts
When I first saw This Summer on netgalley I thought it would be a great book to bring me out of my reading slump, and also a different genre to what I have been reading lately. Hadley works at summer camp run by her Dad during summer, Will, her old neighbour and used to be friend, has come back home to lend a hand at the camp and finish off the updates to his house so he can get it sold and go back to Texas. What follows is a tug of war of feelings, ups and downs, and a lot of hurt feelings.

Honestly I couldn't really get into this book too much until about 80% of the way through. I felt like the story was just a bit too slow for me, and it want until feelings were shared that it really picked up. I thought that occasionally the characters were a bit too childish for me, talking to someone else, or agreeing to go on dates to make the other one jealous, ending a relationship with someone only to be in their space all the time and agreeing to things that would make it look like you wanted to get back together.

Lily was someone who I didn't really like, her thoughts felt like she constantly thought about boys, boys, boys, boys, and her friendship with Hadley occasionally made an appearance. What she did to Hadley was uncalled for and is not something I could easily forgive, but also brings back again how childish they act on occasion.

There were obviously things I liked about This Summer or I would not have finished reading, I enjoyed the plot, the summer romance, and also not knowing what would really happen in the end. It was a nice read but I wouldn't say I was emotionally invested in the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...