Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Review: Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter


Title: Every Ugly Word
Author: Aimee L. Salter
Author Info: Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Alloy Entertainment
Publication Date: 29th July 2014

Tell Me About It
When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Every Ugly Word, it was the cover that grabbed my attention first, when I read the synopsis I loved how the cover and the book connect with each other. The minute I had finished reading my current read I immediately made a start on Every Ugly Word, eager to make a start on it and find out what it was all about.

In all honestly, when I began reading Every Ugly Word I wasn't too invested in the story, it flashes from past to present as Ashley tells her story, of why she came to be where she is, and taking to a psychiatrist and waiting to be released. . As the story progressed I did become invested in the characters, it wasn't my aim to find out how it all started anymore, but to get to know the character, and as her story unfolds I soon found myself feeling sympathy for her.

While I have been through her experience myself, although not to the extent that she did, all the emotions and feelings she shares were the exact that I felt, and I'm pretty sure have been felt by all who have ever been bullied. The feeling of being alone, that no-one likes you, that no matter what you do it's never good enough.

As Every Ugly Word progressed I wanted to pick up the Ashley and hug her, to tell her that she can keep going, to pick herself up, but I knew that no matter how any times she is told, that she has to actually believe it herself, to believe IN herself, before a change can be made. The bullies are the absolute worst of the worst, they were sly, and disrespectful, and downright pathetic, to act the way they do, and to hold things against her knowing they are not true is just wrong, and it's sad to see this happen, but even worse to know it happens every day.

While Every Ugly Word was a slow start, I did begin to enjoy it, and the last few chapters were a breath of fresh air for me. I really liked seeing how far Ashley has come from the start of the book, and although it wasn't a perfect happy read, I did like getting to see the two versions of Ashley, seeing where she started and where she finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...