Thursday, 4 September 2014

Review: the Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost


Title: The Beautiful Ashes
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Paranormal
Series: Broken Destiny #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Publication Date: 26th August 2014

Tell Me About It
In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…
My Thoughts
I love Jeaniene's other books, so when I saw The Beautiful Ashes on netgalley I had to get it. I began reading with the eagerness I get for each of her books, but the eagerness was short lived. I am honestly struggling with this review. The Beautiful Ashes had the potential to me an amazing read, but unfortunately for me it wasn't.

Ivy hasn't had the best childhood, having no parents she was adopted, but never felt at home with this family, add into the equation her visions of overlapping worlds she isn't exactly Miss Normal. Having lost her sister, and her parents death when they go to find her, Ivy is determined to find her sister and bring her home for the funeral, but in the process finds herself in a whole other world of trouble.

I liked the idea behind the story, the whole demons, angels, and otherworldly creatures is something that I do enjoy. There were a few things that kept me interested, like why was Ivy having these visions, but I really only carried on reading to see if her sister was found, and to find out more about the mysterious, brooding Adrian.

As the story progressed and we were fed bits of information, ad get to see other worlds, I did find myself enjoying the book, but overall I wouldn't say I was engrossed in the story. The Beautiful Ashes had some good character and world building, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...