Monday, 15 September 2014

Review: Better Than Perfect by Simone Elkeles


Title: Better Than Perfect
Author: Simone Elkeles
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Wild Cards #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Publication Date: 14th August 2014

Tell Me About It
Ashtyn's life just got complicated. Her boyfriend is being distant and her sister's back at home after ten years - with a stepson in tow!

Derek has a perfect body, THE sexiest smile and a car - Ashtyn's only way to escape from her crazy life. But Derek likes to play by his own rules and is keen to take Ashtyn on a ride she'll never forget. As they spend more and more time alone together, will Derek's flirty games drive Ashtyn wild?

A sweet and steamy romance from New York Times bestselling author Simone Elkeles.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Better Than Perfect I was instantly intrigued, when I checked it out on goodreads  realised that I already have this book down on my wish list, under the USA name. It took me a while to get around to reading this book, and I wish I had read it sooner than I did.

Better Than Perfect is the first book I have read by Simone, although I do have a lot of her other books waiting to be read. I began reading with no idea what to expect but I quickly found myself engrossed with the story, and I needed to keep reading to find out more. The characters she creates are likeable (with some exceptions) and realistic. The story has a way of drawing you in and not letting you go, and as quickly as I started I found myself reaching the end far too soon.

Ashtyn is an enigma, she has one persona for her friends and boyfriend, and another for staying a t home. She acts and dresses differently, but I really did like her. She was a character that I instantly felt a connection with, even though she is nothing like me, and I could not wait to see what went on with her. Derek I had mixed feelings about, his prank was ingenious and I like how he stood up and took the full blame, however I didn't like his attitude towards his Step-Mum, or towards Ashtyn. But given the circumstances and what he has dealt with, you can understand his unwillingness to adapt to changes he didn't want or ask for. On the other side thought, I do like how he stands up for Ashtyn and puts his pranking skills to fantastic use.
Landon is an ass, plain and simple. From the minute he was first introduced I did not like him, His actions towards Ashtyn were uncalled for, and taking credit for things he didn't do that help Ashton was wrong. How he treats her throughout the boo, especially towards the end, was so wrong and I really wish I could reach into the pages and give him a slap or two.

Better Than Perfect was a surprising, but fantastic read. I enjoyed every single page of it and I can't wait to see what comes next in this series. One thing that I liked was how Ashtyn was allergic to purple, initially I thought this was just a way to say she didn't like eating purple skittles, but later on in the book we soon find out that this is not the case, and props for Derek for helping her out. This duo go through a lot of ups and downs within the pages of Better Than Perfect, and I really enjoying taking this journey with them.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read anything by Elkeles, but I have definitely been meaning to. This sounds like a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...