Thursday, 11 September 2014

Review: The Jewel by Amy Ewing


Title: The Jewel
Author: Amy Ewing
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: The Lone City #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Walker Books
Publication Date: 4th September 2014

Tell Me About It
"Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become Lot 197."

The Jewel is a shocking and compelling new YA series from debut author, Amy Ewing.

Sold for six million diamantes, Violet is now Surrogate of the House of the Lake in the centre of the Lone City, the Jewel. Her sole purpose is to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess – a woman Violet fears and despises.

Violet is trapped in a living death, her name and body no longer her own. She fights to hold on to her own identity and sanity, uncertain of the fate of her friends, isolated and at the mercy of the Duchess.

The Handmaid's Tale meets The Other Boleyn Girl in a world where beauty and brutality collide.
My Thoughts
I went into reading The Jewel without knowing what to expect, other than the synopsis sounded like I would really love this book. The beginning of The Jewel drew me in, the author does a good job of giving us the information for this world, but also the protagonist, Violet. At puberty each girl is tested for genetic mutation that causes the Auguries and taken away from family to live in a holding facility, (The Selection, The Hunger Games), When they are old enough they are sold at auction to be surrogates and have children (Wither) for people living inside the Jewel.

Before I get to the main part of my review I want to explain what the Auguries are. These are an ability that a select few have, they allow the person to change the colour of items, the shape of them, and also to make things grow, like a bud to a flower. These abilities are tested in the holding facilities and each girl has to successfully master one, before moving up to the next. These abilities are also what make these girls hot commodities among the people who live within the Jewel.

The Jewel had the potential to be such an amazing book, unfortunately it just wasn't for me. The beginning I loved, getting all the information we needed to fully understand this new world and these new characters, but as the story progressed I felt like it didn't really get anywhere, that it just flat-lined, and happily plodded along with no real spark to it. I wanted more, of what I don't know, I just wasn't amazed like I thought I would be. The ending is a cliff hanger, and does leave me with some questions that need to be answered, but overall The Jewel was just an OK read for me, I kept waiting to be wowed and unfortunately I wasn't.

1 comment:

  1. Yours in the first review I've read who didn't love The Jewel and I want to thank you for that as someone thinking about reading this I need to hear from both sides (those who love and those who don't) so I can decide whether to spend my hard-earned cash on the book or not. So thank you for the great review!

    New GFC follower, your blog looks fab btw!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...