Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Review: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Cursed
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Bookbridgr
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 17th July 2014

Tell Me About It
Dying sucks – and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows. Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things – including boys.

When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she’s more than interested. There’s just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden’s adopted father, a man she’s sure has sinister reasons for collecting children with abilities even weirder than hers.

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she’s not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.

My Thoughts
Cursed has been on my wish list for a while, so when it came up on bookbridgr for review it made sense for me to request a copy. Ember is cursed with the harrowing ability to kill anything she touches, or that touches her. A crash where ember should have died, but was saved by her sister Olivia, has left Ember with this curse. She now lives her life afraid to touch anyone, but also trying to care for her sister and ensure that she doesn't try to use her own abilities.

After an accident, Ember and her family are taken by Cromwell to his home, where there are also others who have abilities, Ember is initially upset about this unplanned venture and is determined to find a way home. But faced with the possibility of losing her sister and mother, Ember decides to stay, but makes her feelings well known.

When I picked up Cursed I had no idea what to expect from it, and I think because I have loved Jennifer's other works under her other name, I built this book up in my head. Cursed gives details about what has happened and why Ember has this curse, but I did feel like it went too slow in places, that the events happening were drawn out just a bit too much, but then towards the end of the book the pace picked up and then all of a sudden it's all over and done with. I also thought parts of the book were predictable, I guessed correctly who was after Ember and a reason for a certain item, that it wasn't just for that alone.

On a different note I do think Cursed did have a good plot and I think it would have benefited a bit better for me if the story itself was better paced, or if it was spread over two books. Overall Cursed was a book I did enjoy, but I don't think it will be a re-read for me.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those books that sounds amazing when you read about it but some of the reviews I've read of it make it sound as if it really sucks. You've written a very honest review here that has given me faith that it may not be quite as bad as other make it out to be so thank you xx

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...