Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Review: A Girl Called Malice by Aurelia B. Rowl


Title: A Girl Called Malice
Author: Aurelia B. Rowl
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Series: Popping the Cherry #2
Source: Widget invite via netgalley
Publisher: Carina UK
Publication Date: 3rd October 2014

Tell Me About It
It’s not easy being the Queen Bee. Alice Taylor should know.

You know that girl. The one that the whole school’s social life seems to revolve around. Alice used to be that girl until she decided to quit sixth form college. Suddenly her ‘friends’ aren’t so interested in following her around and her attention-grabbing behaviour is about to get her kicked out of home. With nowhere to go and no one to turn to, her world starts spiralling seriously out of control.

Only new friend Zac Newton seems to believe in her. Lifeguard and poolside hottie, Zac is quite literally her lifesaver. But then, he’s never met ‘Malice’, her mean-girl alter ego, and Alice wants to keep it that way. She knows this is her last chance for a fresh start until her sordid past catches up with her at the worst possible moment.

As everything Alice has worked towards comes crashing down around her, she realises that the hardest thing of all is being yourself…
My Thoughts
A Girl Called Malice is the second book in this series. I read Popping the Cherry last year, and I'm not going to sugar coat it, Alice was a nasty piece of work. So going into A Girl Called Malice I knew what to expect, and straight off the bat we get to see 'Malice' in action, and let me tell you now she is a bitch, she is evil, nasty, selfish, and treats her 'boyfriends' (and I use the term loosely) like a doormat. She is a car crash waiting to happen, yet strangely enough I found myself drawn to her story, wanting to know more about her.

As A Girl Called Malice progresses we get to see into Alice's life, and as the pieces are connected we get to see why Alice is the way she is, why she portrays a different persona for the world. My heart broke for what she has to deal with every single day, and has done for many years. How someone who is meant to love you, to care and protect you can treat a person like this is truly baffling, and seeing the progress Alice makes made me feel that much more supportive of her. When we get to see the real Alice, without all the make-up, the non existent clothes, and without the snarky attitude, I really did begin to like her. She has a caring side that adores her 'nephew', who would do anything for him, even climbing a tree, which is also how see literally falls into Zac's arms

A Girl Called Malice has to be my favourite so far out of this series. I sped through this book, reading it in just a few hours. Alice is unpredictable, and this is portrayed within the pages making each new chapter as unpredictable as Alice herself. I honestly went into this book expecting to dislike Alice more than I already did, but I ended up not only liking her, but also becoming emotionally involved with her outcome, wanting to stop her from doing something silly, disheartened with her for acting the way she does with another boy knowing that she might have feelings for Zac, but also cheering when things started to go her way.

One thing that I also love about A Girl Called Malice is how we get to see characters from previous book, and how the play an important role within the pages of this one. Seeing some familiar faces that I remembered added a nice touch to the book. One thing I failed to do was make the connection between A Girl Called Malice and Popping the Cherry with one of the characters, but it's been that long since I read the first book I had forgotten about this person.

A Girl Called Malice was an unputdownable read, and I enjoyed every single word of it. I am really looking forward to the next book in this series and being able to see .......... story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...