Sunday, 26 October 2014

Review: My True Love Gave To Me edited by Stephanie Perkins


Title: My True Love Gave To Me
Editor: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Book
Publication Date: 9th October 2014

Tell Me About It
On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories set during the festive period, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. The stories are filled with the magic of first love and the magic of the holidays.

My Thoughts
I first heard about My True Love Gave To Me a few months ago in a blogger newsletter and I knew it was one I had to read, with some of my favourite authors, and some new faces it is a perfect blend and gives me the opportunity to sample writing by authors I have not yet read. Anthologies can be hard to review as they have a huge array of authors, so I am going to just select a few of the stores that stood out for me.

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell
Follows Mags and Noel through NY eve, from 2011 to 2014. Mags is feeling left out and disappointed when Noel chooses someone else for a New Year Kiss. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into their history and the near misses, but the most important question is will Mags finally get the new year kiss she wants?

What the hell have you done, Sophie Roth by Gayle Forman
Sophie is out of place and all alone, a 'big city' girl in a pastoral college. No-one seems to understand her, or even get her sarcasm until Russell. Both have misconceptions about the other, why they are there and what they are about, but I like how they quickly got along, sharing a similar sense of humour and being a friend the other person needed.

Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White
Maria lives in Christmas, but dislikes everything about her life there. Her work at a Christmas themed diner, her mum changing her whole attitude, her Step-Dad not really wanting her there. Her plan is to save all of her tips and move away, anywhere that's is as far away from Christmas as possible. A new cook at diner changes this and pretty soon he works his magic on the diner, the patrons, and on Maria and her family. I really enjoyed this story and the little twist behind it.

Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Pena
This one caught my attention immediately with the little image of a cat, which is one of my favourite animals. This story follows Shy as he cat sits for a fiend, unable to travel home to celebrate Christmas. Pretty soon Shy finds himself in the company of Hayley, as he gallantly comes to her rescue to try to fix the frozen pipes, even though he has no idea what he is doing. Quirky read with some flirting and miscommunication which leads to occasional hilarity.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not always a big fan of short stories, but I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It's just got too many great authors together in one place to ignore :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...