Thursday, 23 October 2014

Review: Rowdy by Jay Crownover


Title: Rowdy
Author: Jay Crownover
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Series: Marked Men #5
Source: Netgalley Widget
Publisher: Harper Fiction
Publication Date: 23rd October 2014

Tell Me About It
After the only girl he had ever loved told him he would never be enough, Rowdy St. James knocked the Texas dust off his boots and decided he was going to do everything in his power to live up to his nickname. Life was all about a good time, good friends and never taking much too seriously. Only now he has a new coworker, a ghost from the past who’s making him question every lesson he ever learned.

Salem Cruz grew up in a house with too many rules – and no fun allowed. She left it all behind as soon as she could, but she never forgot the sweet, blue-eyed boy next door who’d been in love with her little sister. Now, fate and good intentions from an old friend have placed her right in Rowdy’s path and she’s determined to show him he picked the wrong sister all those years ago…
My Thoughts
I have been desperate to read this book from the moment I finished reading Nash, and a super amazing publicist sent me a netgalley widget, so of course it made sense to drop everything and make a start on Rowdy immediately, which I did, and ended up finishing the book in a few hours, so this review has been scheduled for a month waiting to see the light of day. It is also somewhat vague so I don't spoil anything that happens within the pages.

Before I get to the review, take a few moments to appreciate how stunning this cover is, the UK editions certainly lucked out in the design department. Now, to my review.

Like the other books in this series, Rowdy is told in alternating points of view between Rowdy, and Salem. After seeing a glimpse of this book in Nash I thought I knew what to expect from Salem, from her past but also her present, that was until I read this from Salem....
I was meant to be quiet, compliant, and conventional. Problem was...that was never me
This introduction to Salem shocked me, after the quick glimpse we got of her in Nash, I never would have pictured her to come from the family background that she does. As we glimpse closer into her family though, we can see the tension forming and the cracks start to become huge chasms that eventually force Salem to choose her family or herself.
Rowdy is not only shocked to see Salem in his neck of the woods, but also at the shop, and for a while things are pretty straight forward for this duo, ignore the other as much as possible. But soon the facade has to stop, and this duo have it out, letting the other one know exactly how they felt, and how they feel now.

The past is anything but rocky for both of them, however this is explained clearly and concisely, drawing you into their relationship and experiencing their old lives along with them but in no way distracts you from their present, fitting in seamlessly with the story. My heart broke for what both Rowdy and Salem had to deal with, but seeing how they are now, fighters, determined to live for themselves makes past that much more special. However it's not all smooth sailing for them and a person from the past could threaten to throw a spanner in the works, making it hard for both Rowdy and Salem to let go of the past and find a way to make the present work, without the ghosts of the past being in the middle.

Rowdy was just as gripping, amazing, and unputdownable as the previous book in this series, and I devoured every single page. I laughed, I cried, and several times I had to pick up the pieces of my heart and put them together again. This was definitely an amazing journey that I would not hesitate to take again. Now I just have to wait for a few months before I can get my hands on Asa's story.

I leave this review with some final words to take with you from Salem
We might have been on the outside looking in at our own families and our own lives, but at least we could stand outside together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...