Friday, 28 November 2014

Quickie Review: Vortex [Insignia #2] by S.J. Kincaid


Title: Vortex
Author: S.J. Kincaid
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Insignia #2
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Publication Date: 4th July 2013

Tell Me About It
The impossible was just the beginning. Now in their second year as superhuman government weapons-in-training at the Pentagonal Spire, Tom Raines and his friends are mid-level cadets in the elite combat corps known as the Intrasolar Forces. But as training intensifies and a moment arrives that could make or break his entire career, Tom’s loyalties are again put to the test.

Encouraged to betray his ideals and friendships for the sake of his country, Tom is convinced there must be another way. And the more aware he becomes of the corruption surrounding him, the more determined he becomes to fight it, even if he sabotages his own future in the process.

Drawn into a power struggle more dramatic than he has ever faced before, Tom stays a hyperintelligent step ahead of everyone, like the exceptional gamer he is—or so he believes. But when he learns that he and his friends have unwittingly made the most grievous error imaginable, Tom must find a way to outwit an enemy so nefarious that victory seems hopeless. Will his idealism and bravado cost him everything—and everyone that matters to him?

Filled with action and intelligence, camaraderie and humor, the second book in S.J. Kincaid’s futuristic World War III Insignia trilogy continues to explore fascinating and timely questions about power, politics, technology, loyalty, and friendship.
My Thoughts
I have to be honest and say that I have had Vortex since it was published, I just never found time to actually get to read it, and while part of me is sad that it took so long to read this amazing book, I am also glad I left it so late as I get to dive right into the next book straight away.

Whilst reading Vortex I didn't take any review notes, or try to remember the important parts to share in a review, mostly because this isn't technically a 'review' book, but I also found it hard to stop to make notes, so this review wont really have too much information about what happens between the pages, but will just contain my thoughts and feelings.

Vortex is the second installment in the Insignia series, and I loved this one just as much as the previous book. It begins with Tom on vacation with his Father, but for those who know Tom, know that this won't stop him for getting into mischief, and pretty soon Tom is using his neural processor and his special ability to get even on someone, but unbeknownst to him is also making it easy for him to be discovered.

Reading Vortex I didn't think it was as action packed as the previous book was, there is action, and mischief, but it focuses on Tom's friendships, his attitude, and his future. I enjoyed getting to see the friendships he has made be really tested and we get to see how strong these bonds are, through thick, thin, and ice cold weather we see this band of friends stick together, even if it means going against all the rules to save one another. I love how they stick up for each other, how strong they are, and even how determined they can be when they put their mind to something. Tom is just as stubborn and headstrong, and yes he does make a lot of mistakes and does a lot of idiotic things, but his heart is mostly in the right place.

There were some interesting twists in the story, and I really liked how a part of Insignia was carried on in this book and really made you think about the clues that were offered. There was also a shocking part were my heart nearly broke for someone, but the 'fix' for this person was very interesting.

Vortex is a book to make this series proud, and there is no doubt in my mind that the 'middle book syndrome' does not affect this one in any way. I am so glad I have the next book waiting to be read, I don't think I could wait too long to read it otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...