Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Review: Banished [The Blackhart Legacy #1] by Liz de Jager


Title: Banished
Author: Liz de Jager
Author Info: Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Blackhart Legacy #1
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Tor UK
Publication Date: 27th February 2014

Tell Me About It
Sworn to protect, honour and slay. Because chaos won’t banish itself…

Kit is proud to be a Blackhart, now she’s encountered her unorthodox cousins and their strange lives. And her home-schooling now includes spells, fighting enemy fae and using ancient weapons. But it’s not until she rescues a rather handsome fae prince, fighting for his life on the edge of Blackhart Manor, that her training really kicks in. With her family away on various missions, Kit must protect Prince Thorn, rely on new friends and use her own unfamiliar magic to stay ahead of Thorn’s enemies. As things go from bad to apocalyptic, fae battle fae in a war that threatens to spill into the human world. Then Kit pits herself against the Elder Gods themselves – it’s that or lose everyone she’s learnt to love.
My Thoughts
I read the sampler pages of Banished online and knew it was one I had to read. It took me a while to get the book, and then to actually make a start on it, my incentive was having the second book, Vowed, on netgalley for review.

I began reading Banished with no idea what to expect, and it wasn't long before the real action started. The first few chapters were just the build up to an amazing story as we follow Kit as she takes an epic journey to find her family and save a lost prince, think the journey from Lord of the Rings, only its not a ring to get rid of but a lost prince prince to find, with less walking and more driving, and there are no hobbits, just fae, witches, wolves, and every other magical creature you can think of (I'm sure you get the idea I'm trying to paint for you). This is a journey of epicness that leaves you wanting more from this author (and thankfully I have the next one waiting).

Thorn, the seventh son of a seventh son, is supposed to be some all lucky and powerful person, yet luck has managed to elude him until he is saved from a redcap attack by Kit. Kit, recent heir to the Blackhart Legacy is only just learning of this whole other world around her, and jumps into the foray with no thought of the consequences she will be left to face. Together, with the help of Aiden, a wolf, and Olga, a witch, this team of misfits must find a way to stop the human world from being taken over, find their friends, and just survive each hour as best they can.
Because no one said there was going to be kissing. I signed up for fighting and punching people in the head but no kissing. Unless I have to kiss Kit, but not you, Thorn. I don't think I'd like to kiss you at all. I hope you're not offended.
This quote made me giggle, and I really like how it was mentioned at various times throughout the rest of the book. Another thing  really liked was that most of the chapters had little snippets from various sources about the different types of magical creatures, or magical related aspects of the story. We get a glimpse into bits of the past, and a handy reference to what will be faced in the upcoming chapters.

While Banished did take me longer than expected to read due to a hectic few days, I devoured it every chance I got. Liz has done an amazing job of drawing you into this world she has created, whilst allowing you to picture it yourself. Her characters are likeable and you can't help but want them to win at everything they face. She has done such a great job of making you love this world, that the shock towards the end wasn't one I expected, it completely came out of the blue. Did I mention I am so glad I have the next book in the series to read.

1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my TBR pile foe ages but thanks to your wonderful review it's jumped up more than a few places.... thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...