Friday, 7 November 2014

Review: A Thousand Pieces of You [Firebird #1] by Claudia Gray


Title: A Thousand Pieces of You
Author: Claudia Gray
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Firebird #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: 6th November 2014

Tell Me About It
Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.

My Thoughts
When I first heard of A Thousand Pieces of You I knew it was one to watch, not only is the cover fantastically amazing, but the whole idea of other dimensions and being able to travel to them drew me in. When I began reading I quickly fell into the pages, and what I thought was going to be just about multiple dimensions ended up being so much more. There was the possibility of a murderer hiding in other dimensions, loss of family, relationships, and some pretty fantastic dimensions, from futuristic, to being part of the Russian royal family.

Marguerite, the protagonist, is thrust into this new way of life as she hunts down her Fathers killer, and along with Theo, they are both determined to find Paul, and revenge this sudden death. The journey this trio take is truly amazing, and seeing how they adapt to their new environments and what the technology, or lack of, is capable of doing. One of the things that stands out to me is that this dimensional travel is not an ability they have within them, they actually need an item, a firebird, to be able to travel, and this is a unique twist that I haven't seen in many time/dimension traveling books.

Marguerite experiences so much throughout this journey she takes, but also learns a lot of information that can be deadly for her to know. I really like how the author keeps you guessing over what dimension is next, whether Marguerite will actually find her way home, and what is really going on. The twists and turns lead to war, to romance, to friendship, and to discovering more about herself and her family.

Do I have a favourite dimension? Yes I do, but I don't want to ruin it for you and give away all of the details, just know that I loved the second dimension. The last few chapters were not what I expected and I really like how there is some sort of closure, but also enough left open to lead us into the next book, which I really can't wait to get hold of.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really drawn to this book and I thank you for your review as it's just made me want to read it even more, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...