Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Review: The Love Game [The Game #1] by Emma Hart


Title: The Love Game
Author: Emma Hart
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Romance
Series: The Game #1
Source: Bookbridgr
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 9th October 2014

Tell Me About It
Books one and two in the New York Times bestselling THE GAME series, together in one delicious package...


THE LOVE GAME

Maddie Stevens hated Braden Carter on sight. Arrogant, egotistical, and the playboy of the University of California, Berkeley, he's everything her brother Pearce has taught her to despise. So why, when the girls challenge her to play the player, doesn't she say no? She doesn't know either.

And maybe, just maybe, they're exactly what each other needs.
My Thoughts
Maddie Stevens. Your mission, should you choose to accept it......is to play the player at his own game. Do you accept?
This sentence is the start of the whole game, playing the player. When I saw The Love Game on bookbridgr I was intrigued, not only about the book itself but also about the author, who I had not really heard about before. Maddie and Braden are complete opposites of each other in all aspects of their life, yet a game has sent this duo into each others arms in order to win the game. What ensues is a game of love, that gets more serious as the time goes on.

The Love Game is told in a dual perspective, giving us insight into both Maddie and Braden's minds, their plans, but also into each others circle of friendship. Both have plans to play the other, and I loved how the other person thought they had the other wrapped around their finger. This was never going to be an easy game to play, and there was never going to be a loser, but I definitely had fun following this duo as they attempt to thwart the other.

My initial thoughts of Braden were not the best, I thought he was a player and would not change himself for anyone, but as we know him more and see him falling, we get to see not only the caring side of him, but also his protective side, especially when Maddie's brother makes an unwanted appearance. Maddie was someone who I had a soft spot for, even though she is hiding things from her friends about her past. Seeing these two people slowly begin to fall for each other was funny, but also deserved by both of them for thinking they could do this, that they could play this game without becoming emotionally invested in the other. I really enjoyed seeing this plan play out throughout the pages, but also how it failed spectacularly in another sense.

The Love Game is the first book I have read by this author, and it wont be the last. If I didn't have to work, or eat, or even sleep I would have had this book finishing in one sitting. I am so glad I got the bind up edition as now I can dive straight into the next book.
Since I began the review with a quote, it's only fair that I end it with one that is really meaningful.
Friendship means never having to be alone, it means there's a constant wall of solidarity even when everything else is crumbling around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...