Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Review: Marly's Ghost by David Levithan


Title: Marly's Ghost
Author: David Levithan
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Publication Date: 8th January 2015

Tell Me About It
A remix of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol with a Valentine’s twist

When Ben’s girlfriend, Marly, dies, he feels his life is over and the prospect of Valentine’s day without her fills him with bitterness. But then Marly arrives – or at least, her ghost does – along with three other spirits. Now Ben must take a journey through Valentines past, present and future – and what he learns will change him forever.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Marly's Ghost it drew my attention, a retelling of Christmas carol, but instead of Christmas it's based on Valentine's Day...sounds interesting. I made my request and a short time later soon had the book in my hands...or on my Ipad. Now please note that I have not actually read A Christmas Carol, but I have seen it and know what happens, but that being said I went into Marly's Ghost not knowing what to expect from this unique twist to the story.

Marly's Ghost was a quick read that had me crying at the start and end of the book. If you can make me cry within the fist few pages then that's a good sign, you have managed to draw me in an really become emotionally involved with the characters. One character I really connected with was Ben, especially his feelings of loss, and loneliness. How he felt like no-one could understand, that it felt like he was looking at them in a different light. How could they lose someone yet still act like they don't miss that person, I have had those exact same feelings, and I think that's the reason why the following quote really meant something to me.
When you die, the heart just stops. When she died, my heart just stopped.
Marly's Ghost is told by Ben, the protagonist, and we see this day of love through his eyes, but it's not really a celebration of love for him since losing Marly, and he makes it known loud and clear what he thinks of Valentine's Day, what he thinks of love in general, berating others for sharing their feelings with him and with others. Seeing how he pushed his friends away was sad, but also sobering, seeing how much he loved Marly and how much she meant to him.

Marly's Ghost was a quick, but brilliant read. I loved the characters, the twist on the original story, and most of all the connection to the original story..which took me till near the end to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...