Monday, 26 January 2015

Mini Review: Eyes Turned Skywards by Rebecca Yarros


Title: Eyes Turned Skywards
Author: Rebecca Yarros
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Entangled: Embrace
Publication Date: 8th December 2014
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
A new adult novel from Entangled's Embrace imprint...

Life's too short to play it safe...

Since her sister's death, twenty-year-old Paisley Donovan, who shares her sister’s heart condition, is treated like delicate glass by her parents. But nothing will stop her from completing her Bucket List—even if it kills her. And it almost does, until Jagger Bateman pulls her from the ocean and breathes more than air into her lungs—he sets her soul on fire.
Jagger is enrolled in the country's toughest flight school. He's wickedly hot, reckless, and perfect for a girl looking to live life to the fullest. Except that Paisley is the commanding general's daughter, and her boyfriend is Jagger's biggest rival. Now Paisley must decide just how much to risk for a guy who makes her heart pound a little too hard.They're flying through dangerous territory—and one wrong move could make them crash and burn...
My Thoughts
I didn't realise that Rebecca has published another book until near the end of last year, and as soon as I did I did not hesitate to purchase it. After finishing and loving Full Measures, I knew I had to read Eyes Turned Skywards as soon as possible.

Eyes Turned Skywards was an emotional read that really hit home, especially as I work with someone who has a heart condition and has gone through so much. The minute I began reading I was hooked and I needed to know more about the characters in the book.
Paisley was stubborn, idiotic, but strong. Living with her condition, knowing any day could be her last, how she is able to function is beyond me, but I do think some of the things off the bucket list were ridiculous to attempt. On the other hand I felt so sorry for her with how she is smothered by her parents and her boyfriend who only want the best for her, but can't really see how harmful it is to her. She has no life outside of her restrictions that they place and sometimes I felt like she was suffocating, unable to really breath. Jagger was someone who I liked instantly, manly due to his life saving skills, and as his story is revealed I did feel sorry for him, but also so proud of his achievements. He is someone who Paisley can have fun with, can relax and really enjoy what time she has left. I did think it was wrong that she didn't tell him the truth but she desperately needed that breath of fresh air, that escape from her sheltered and suffocating world.

I like how Eyes Turned Skywards has the connection with Full Measures, I had no idea that Ember was from Full Measures took me to read synopsis for that book again before making the connection. The link was subtle and it made it easy for Eyes Turned Skywards able to be read as a stand alone, or as a companion to the other book.

Eyes Turned Skywards was a book full of so much emotional turmoil, love, friendship, and tension. I could not read it fast enough, needing to know how it all ended and what would happen between Jagger and Paisley. I even cried through most of the final chapters, and although part of me knew something would happen, I just didn't believe it when it did. After finishing Eyes Turned Skywards I really want to go back and read Full Measures, then stalk Rebecca waiting for another book off her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...