Friday, 20 February 2015

Review: All That Glitters [Geek Girl #4] By Holly Smale


Title: All That Glitters
Author: Holly Smale
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Geek Girl #4
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 26th February 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
"My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek." The fourth book in the award-winning GEEK GIRL series. Harriet Manners has high hopes for the new school year: she's a Sixth Former now, and things are going to be different. But with Nat busy falling in love at college and Toby preoccupied with a Top Secret project, Harriet soon discovers that's not necessarily a good thing...

**THIS REVIEW CONTAINS A TINY SPOILER FOR THE PREVIOUS BOOK. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**

My Thoughts
I have never grabbed a book so fast from NetGalley before. I logged on to browse and saw All That Glitters, it was the fastest request/download to kindle ever. All That Glitters has a lot to aim for, especially as I LOVED the previous books in this series, and I dropped everything to read this one.

Holly Smale has done an amazing job at making Harriet likeable and believable, and within the first few sentences I was laughing at how frank and honest Harriet is. I love her random facts, they never get old and I really look forward to seeing what Harriet will come up with in each new book. I really like how she sees everything at face value and doesn't see any other meaning to things that are said, or things she says or writes, which does make for some hilarious statements from herself, and some hilarious situations that she finds herself in.

I read All That Glitters in a few hours, and honestly I didn't really make any review notes, just copied down some quotes I liked, although there are a lot more I would like to add, but then that would basically be most of the book.
Because I thought maybe if I could just bury myself deep enough, for long enough, I could shut the world out and myself out with it. And then I wouldn't have to think about how the last time I saw Nick is the last time I'll see him, and the last time I kissed him is the last time I'll kiss him. About how life keeps going on as it always has. Or how my heart can beat 100,000 times a day. Even when it's broken.
.....It's fresh, it's unorthodox! It's visionary! Could you, perchance, try a little krumping?"
Which I assume is dancing like a crumpet.
So I obediently roll myself on to the sand and try to look as bread-like as possible.
 I devoured the pages of All That Glitters, each time a chapter ended I HAD to read the next one, and even though there were a few issues with the formatting of the chapters it did not distract from my enjoyment of this book. In the previous books of the Geek Girl series, Harriet goes to different countries and places for modeling, and while that happens in All That Glitters, this book is mainly focused on Harriet at home, and starting Sixth form, without Nat, and with a very aloof, non-stalker Toby.

Harriet is seen in a completely different light in All That Glitters, and I did feel happy for her having this experience, even though it was for the wrong reasons. But what made me sad about this was she didn't get to experience it with the people that matter to her, the people that she has known most of her life. Reading All That Glitters I laughed, a lot, I even cried near the end when some things were explained. That part broke my heart just as much as it did Harriet's, and I think she was extremely brave for doing this.

All That Glitters is just as amazing as the previous books, and I know I don't mention what happens in the boo, and that this review is mainly my feelings, but that is because I don't want it spoiled for those who have yet to read this one. I want YOU to be surprised at some revelations, I want YOU to feel your heart break over things that are said, and I want YOU to experience this like I did, with no spoilers about hat happens.

Final Verdict
Another great book from Holly Smale, and a fantastic addition to this series. Geek Girl fans HAVE to read this one.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know there's a 4th book! I loved the Geek Girl but haven't read books 2 & 3 yet. :) And OMG, this book's gonna break my heart? Now you got me intrigued and scared and excited all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to hoping for a positive outcome in #5! Haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I not heard of this series! These look so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...