Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Review: Shadow Study [Soulfinders #1] by Maria V. Snyder


Title: Shadow Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Soulfinders #1|Study #4|The Chronicles of Ixia #7
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harlequin
Publication Date: 24th February 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
New York Times bestselling author Maria V. Snyder wowed readers with Poison Study, the unforgettable story of poison taster Yelena. Now she's back with a new tale of intrigue.

Once, only her own life hung in the balance.

Oddly enough, when Yelena was a poison taster, her life was simpler. But she'd survived to become a vital part of the balance of power between rival countries Ixia and Sitia. Now she uses her magic to keep the peace in both lands and protect her relationship with Valek.

Suddenly, though, they are beset on all sides by those vying for power through politics and intrigue. Valek's job - and his life - are in danger. As Yelena tries to uncover the scope of these plots, she faces a new challenge: her magic is blocked. She must keep that a secret - or her enemies will discover just how vulnerable she really is - while searching for who or what is responsible for neutralizing her powers.

Yes, the days of tasting poisons were much simpler. And certainly not as dangerous.
My Thoughts
I LOVED IT.
Shadow Study has been a book I have been desperate to read since I first heard about it, I stalked the author, and any place that had the book for pre-order hoping that the publication date had been moved forward. When I got Shadow Study from netgalley I was torn. I wanted to drop everything to read it, but also had other books I had committed to that were published before Shadow Study, but after a string of books I did not finish, I picked this one up, knowing that I was guaranteed to get out of the slump with Shadow Study.

I want to write this review and tell you everything that I loved, share with you what the characters get up to and all the secrets that are hidden within the pages. I want to share with you the final words in the book, and fan girl over them, but I can't. So this review will be vague on exact detail, but know that it is full of so much love for this book and for the author. I demolished every single page of this book, I was hooked and had to keep reading just one more chapter, and finished reading at 4.10am.

Shadow Study has three narrators, Yelena, Valek, and Janco. I loved how this played out within the pages, especially as the plot progressed, the three narratives only added to this story. It also made it harder to put down, if you finished Yelena's part, you had to read through Valek and Janco to get back and find out what happened to her. We are introduced to some new people, and they make an interesting mix in the pages along with the characters that we know and love. One of the new characters I never really felt comfortable with, and when their story is mixed with an old face nothing good can come from it.

Another thing that I loved in Shadow Study was getting to visit not only Yelena's world, but also Opal's too, catching up with characters from both 'worlds' and seeing how the story lines cross over and intertwine with each other. Shadow Study also gives us another characters world to learn about. We get to revisit Valek's past and find out how he became a feared assassin, and how he gained all of his skills.

Final Verdict
Shadow Study is amazing, and in my opinion unrateable. There is no rating that is good enough for this book. Shadow Study has set the standards extremely high for all the books I am planning to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...