Thursday, 19 February 2015

Review: The Sin Eaters Daughter [The Sin Eaters Daughter #1] by Melinda Salisbury


Title: The sin Eater's Daughter
Author: Melinda Salisbury
Author Info: Website|Instagram|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Scholastic Children's Books
Publication Date: 5th February 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?
My Thoughts
Imagine if your touch could kill, that you would be used as a weapon for this reason, but also knowing that one small mistake, one accidental brush of your skin could kill a passerby, and innocent person.
Twylla was the Sin Eaters Daughter, and is now Daunen Embodied. On the last day of each full moon, she must partake in the Telling. Twylla must drink a vial of poison mixed with her blood, by surviving she continues her role as Daunen Embodied, as executioner to all who have committed a crime.

I first heard about The Sin Eater's Daughter in the catalogue for the publisher, and not only did I fall in love with the cover, the synopsis had me wanting to know more, wanting to know why Twylla was poisonous and what the Queen's plan was.

The Queen of Lormerian was someone who didn't sit well with me at all, coming across as callous, and selfish. When she defaces a relic to suit her own needs of making it fit for her, it became quite clear to me that everything is about her, and nothing will stand in her way of getting what she wants. Twylla is the complete opposite of her, yes she kills people, but she doesn't want to, she does this for her family, to ensure they have food and money to survive whilst she is there, knowing that any day she could lose her favour among the Gods and die from the poison she ingests.

The Sin Eater's Daughter was an amazing read from start to finish, it lived up to everything I expected from it and so much more. The world, the characters, and even the story itself was full of richness, and had me wanting more. I went into The Sin Eater's Daughter with an idea of what to expect, and what I got was not what I expected, and I finished the book with all my ideas and preconceptions turned around and was left with the book closing and me completely taken aback at what had transpired. The events that happen leading towards the end of the book surprised me, I was not expecting things to end up this way, but I loved every change, every word of it.

I finished reading The Sin Eater's Daughter with a smile on my face, but also eager for more. I can't wait to read the next book in this series and catch up with the characters again and see what happens next.

Final Verdict
An amazing book from a debut author, be prepared to fall in love with the characters, and to have your ideas completely turned around and a whole new answer being revealed.

2 comments:

  1. First positive review i have read of this book. Great one. I was really beginning to loose hope in this.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have ended up with 2 copies of this book so 1 will make it's way to Sal. Great review, it's one I can't wait to read. Going to try to get through 2 books today for work then I think this will be my next read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...