Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Review: Unspeakable by Abbie Rushton


Title: Unspeakable
Author: Abbie Rushton
Author Info: Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Atom
Publication Date: 5th February 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Megan doesn't speak. She hasn't spoken in months.

Pushing away the people she cares about is just a small price to pay. Because there are things locked inside Megan's head - things that are screaming to be heard - that she cannot, must not, let out.

Then Jasmine starts at school: bubbly, beautiful, talkative Jasmine. And for reasons Megan can't quite understand, life starts to look a bit brighter.

Megan would love to speak again, and it seems like Jasmine might be the answer. But if she finds her voice, will she lose everything else?
My Thoughts
When I first saw Unspeakable on netgalley I was intrigued and needed to know what it was all about, why doesn't Megan speak? What happened to her?

Unspeakable was a quick read for me, I went into it expecting it to be much longer so was surprised at how fast I made my way through the pages. Throughout the pages we are given a few hints to who this mysterious Hanna is, and how she is connected to Megan and this event that made her stop talking. Unspeakable is a book that is hard to define, it has mystery, romance, and LGBT. There is also a heavy focus on bullying throughout the story.

Megan does not talk, ever since the event she has not spoken a single word out loud. For this reason alone Megan is bullied by Sadie, someone out to get Megan any chance she can get, even stealing from Megan and offering the item back if Megan actually asks for it. Megan has one ally, a new girl to school called Jasmine. Once Jasmine sees Sadie's real intentions she is quick to break the friendship and quickly becomes firm friends with Megan.

Unspeakable was a book that kept me guessing over a variety of things, and even when the event was revealed, there were still things left open, like who was sending the letters,and right up to the end of the book I never knew who it was, and once it was revealed I was shocked and surprised by the revelation.

I also want to mention the cover very quickly, seeing it in this post is the first time I have really paid attention to it, and I like how fitting it is to the story in a variety of ways, both with the figures, but also the background image in the figures.

Final Verdict
Unspeakable is a quick read and deals with 'taboo issues' in a delicate, informative way. It is a great debut from a promising author.

1 comment:

  1. Hopping over from the British Books Challenge :)

    I just finished this today and thought it was a lovely read. I love a book which has a diverse relationship but isn't specifically about that.

    I agree the cover is amazing too, it just describes the book perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...