Thursday, 19 March 2015

Audiobook Review: Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder


Title: Shadow Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook
Narrator: Gabra Zackman
Length: 11 hrs and 28 mins
Series: Soulfinders # 4
Publisher: Harlequin Enterprises, Ltd.
Publication Date: 24th February 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
New York Times best-selling author Maria V. Snyder wowed readers with Poison Study, the unforgettable story of poison taster Yelena. Now she's back with a new tale of intrigue.

Once, only her own life hung in the balance. Oddly enough, when Yelena was a poison taster, her life was simpler. But she'd survived to become a vital part of the balance of power between rival countries Ixia and Sitia. Now she uses her magic to keep the peace in both lands - and protect her relationship with Valek. Suddenly, though, they are beset on all sides by those vying for power through politics and intrigue. Valek's job and his life are in danger. As Yelena tries to uncover the scope of these plots, she faces a new challenge: her magic is blocked. She must keep that a secret - or her enemies will discover just how vulnerable she really is - while searching for who or what is responsible for neutralizing her powers. Yes, the days of tasting poisons were much simpler. And certainly not as dangerous.…

My Thoughts
For those of you who don't know, I really enjoy audiobooks. I listen to them on the journey to work, when I'm cleaning, and even going to sleep. I even have an audible subscription myself. I am also a huge fan of Maria V. Snyder so when I was offered a chance to review the audiobook of Shadow Study I did not hesitate in saying yes. Not only have I read this entire series so far, I also own the books on audible too, so getting to listen to Shadow Study was a chance I could not turn down.

The Story
Shadow Study was a recent read for me, and my full review can be found here, so this section will be small and brief so I don't repeat myself too much.
I really want to write this review and tell you everything that I loved about Shadow Study, and share with you what the characters get up to and all the secrets that are hidden within the pages. I want to share with you the final words in the book, and fan girl over them with you, but I can't. Listening to Shadow Study made it so much more easier to listen to 'just another 30 minutes' and I often found myself going to bed well after midnight, even on a work night.

Shadow Study is told through three narrators, Yelena, Valek, and Janco. I loved how this played out within the pages, especially as the plot progressed, the three narratives only added to this story rather than taking away from it. But it also made it harder to put down, if you finished Yelena's part, you had to read through Valek and Janco to get back and find out what happened to her and then the cycle is the same for the other characters. There are a few new faces within the pages, and even right up to the very end one of them I am still unsure about. However, an old character has really pulled some dirty tricks and I really want to hate them, but some small part of me wants them to have a good reason for this.
Another thing that I loved in Shadow Study was getting to visit not only Yelena's world, but also Opal's too, catching up with characters from both 'worlds' and seeing how the story lines cross over and intertwine with each other. Shadow Study also gives us another characters world to learn about. We get to revisit Valek's past and find out how he became a feared assassin, and how he gained all of his skills.

The Narration
You have no idea how happy I am to have the same narrator as the Study series. While I did like the narrator for the Glass series, some of the pronunciation was wrong and that really annoyed me. Shadow Study reunites us with Gabra Zackman. Having the correct pronunciation for names, places, and even some poisons made it even easier to enjoy this book. I also like the slight differences in the voices and the accents she uses. I LOVE Valek's accent. He sounds like he has a slight English accent which was really nice, but for some strange reason also suits him.

Final Verdict
I loved this story so much, and the audiobook makes me love it even more, and also more desperate to get hold of the next story now. Shadow Study is a book you HAVE to have in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...