Friday, 13 March 2015

Blog Tour Review: Dare to Dream by Carys Jones



Title: Dare to Dream
Author: Carys Jones
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Reuts Publications
Publication Date: 3rd March 2015

Tell Me About It
The world was going to end. Of that, Maggie Trafford was certain.

Fourteen-year-old Maggie Trafford leads a normal life. Well, as normal as being crammed in a three-bedroom house with four siblings and a single parent can be, anyway. But despite being somewhat ignored at home, Maggie excels, earning top grades, a best friend who would do anything for her, and stolen looks from a boy in Maths.

It’s not until the dreams start that Maggie realizes “normal” is the least of her problems. Every night, she lives the same nightmare—red lightning, shattered glass, destruction. But nightmares are just that, right? No one believes her when she says it’s an omen. At least, not until the already mysterious pillars of Stonehenge start falling.

No longer alone in her fear, Maggie and the world watch with bated breath as one after another, the historic stones tumble, like a clock counting down. But only Maggie knows what it means: when the last stone falls, destruction will reign. And when the world ends, there’s only one option left—survive.

Horrifying and raw, Dare to Dream is equal parts tragedy and hope, detailing the aftermath of apocalyptic catastrophe, the quest for survival, and the importance of belief.

My Thoughts
I love a good book about doom, death, and destruction, So when I was approached to review Dare to Dream and take part in the blog tour I did not hesitate, what's not to love about it.

I began reading Dare to Dream with a lot of anticipation, looking forward to really getting into this book, looking forward to the nightmare/premonitions, and as they are described it was definitely something I would not want to experience myself. The follow on from these nightmares further on in the book was just total death and destruction everywhere, buildings are demolished in the blink of an eye, roads are trashed, there are very few survivors, and I loved every word of it.The protagonist, Maggie, was someone who I did feel sorry for, not only is her family life not the best, but the nightmares plaguing her sleep don't help her at all. She feels left out, the odd one in her family, and this comes across clearly in the pages. Her friend is there for her when she needs her to be, and is one of the only few who believe her pleas to leave for the caves.

However I did find a few things that I didn't really click with. While the idea of the nightmares was amazing, the detail retold to perfection, I understand the author wanted to make sure that the warning was listened to, but there are only so many nightmares a girl can have before it becomes slightly repetitive for the reader. I also felt like the build up was too long for my own liking, but what makes this a very mixed up review is how much I enjoyed the ending.

Yes it took a while to get there, but the eventual destruction of the earth was great reading, and the little twist that was added into the mix was something I never expected at all. Dare to Dream was a mixed book for me, with both positive and negative aspects about it.

Final Verdict
Dare to Dream was a book that had me up and down on what I thought about it. Overall it was an okay read with some great moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...