Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Mini Review: Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver


Title: Vanishing Girls
Author: Lauren Oliver
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 10th March 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Dara and Nicola used to be inseparable, but that was before - before Dara kissed Parker, before Nicola lost him as her best friend, before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred. Now the two sisters, who used to be so close, aren't speaking. In an instant, Nick lost everything and is determined to use the summer to get it all back.

But Dara has other plans. When she vanishes on her birthday, Nicola thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl has vanished, too - nine-year-old Elizabeth Snow - and as Nicola pursues her sister, she becomes increasingly convinced that the two disappearances may be linked.
My Thoughts
I will admit to only really reading Delirium series so far, but when I saw Vanishing Girls it really sounded like a book I would not only enjoy, but also devour, so I began reading with a lot of eagerness. Unfortunately the eagerness I began with slowly dwindled away, and I found myself struggling to make it through the pages.

Vanishing Girls is a great plot but it just didn't work for me the whole time, it wasn't till I got about halfway through the book that it picked up for me and really drew me in. I honestly can't pinpoint what I didn't particularly like about the first half, it just felt slow and occasionally repetitive to me.

Now the second half of Vanishing Girls is a completely different matter. I LOVE the twist near the ending that I did not expect or even have any inkling about at all, I actually had to stop reading and read the sentence again to make sure I had read it correctly. It was tense, fast paced and just drew me in so fast that I didn't even see the ending coming so quickly. This is the part of the book that I really enjoyed and could not get enough of.

Final Verdict
Overall an OK read that definitely picked up near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...