Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Review: Cartel [Cartel #1] by Lili St. Germain


Title: Cartel
Author: Lili St. Germain
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Adult Fiction
Series: Cartel #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 12th February 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
The first full length Gypsy Brothers novel from the smash hit author Lili St Germain.

How much is a life worth?

I grew up in Colombia, the daughter of a wealthy drug lord. I lived a life of extravagance, until one day a drug run went horribly wrong and everything came crashing down around us. I was given away. A payment for a debt. The Gypsy Brothers Motorcycle Club became my new owners, and I did everything I could to survive.

But falling in love with the man who owned me wasn't part of the plan ...

My Thoughts
I had not heard of Cartel before I was contacted about a possible review. After a quick read of the synopsis I knew I had to give it a try. I don't usually read this type of genre but it sounded interesting enough, with a drop dead sexy cover to match.

When I began reading it was pretty clear that Cartel was going to take me way out of my comfort zone, and all I could do was hold on tight and go along for the ride. What surprised me the most was how much I really enjoyed reading Cartel. Its gory, it raw, its detailed to every minute detail, and it shocked me with how violent some parts of it were, but I did like it.
I knew going into Cartel that it wasn't going to be all sunshine and roses, that it would test the limits of what I am willing to read, and I know that acts in this book probably happen around the world every single day, and I think it was that knowledge that really made this book so hard hitting. It's not a childish fantasy, its not science fiction, it's real life for some people, its how they were brought up and how they live.

Cartel was an interesting read that not only took me on a journey I did not expect to enjoy, but also had me wanting more, and as soon as I had the time to sit and read undisturbed I quickly found myself speeding through the pages. The twist and turns were some I did not expect, and they kept me guessing right till the end about what was going to happen.

Mariana has got to be one of the strongest and toughest characters that I have read about. She doesn't have the ability of strength or anything that gives her an advantage, she has herself. She has determination to survive whatever is thrown in her way, the strength to sacrifice herself to save her family, knowing she will never see them again, but hoping that they will remain safe and most importantly alive. Dornan was an enigma. He is part of The Gypsy Brothers, one of the baddest gangs around that don't hold anything back when they set out to do something, yet he saves Mariana from having to sell her body, from working in the clubs to repay her fathers debt. He definitely kept me on my toes and wondering what he was going to do next.

My only issue with Cartel was that I felt it didn't really go anywhere for a while and then suddenly a lot of things happen. The build up felt too long and drawn out for me.

Final Verdict
Cartel was an enjoyable read that did surprise me with how much I liked it. Hopefully the world building is done and the next book can bring more action and story development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...