Thursday, 12 March 2015

Review: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie


Title: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
Author: Paige McKenzie
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 26th March 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Based on the wildly popular YouTube channel, The Haunting of Sunshine Girl has been described as “ Gilmore Girls meets Paranormal Activity for the new media age.” YA fans new and old will learn the secrets behind Sunshine—the adorkable girl living in a haunted house—a story that is much bigger, and runs much deeper, than even the most devoted viewer can imagine…
My Thoughts
The first time I heard about The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was at a blogger event, and I knew instantly it was a book I HAD to read. I love books about ghosts, hauntings, or any type of spooky activity so I had high hopes for this one, and I am happy to say I was not disappointed.

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl picks up with Sunshine and her Mum moving from Austin to Ridgemont, for her Mums new job. But the house they move into definitely has a creepy vibe about it, and its not long before we get a hint of whats there, and once that small piece is out then it leaves it open for more to come. Soon Sunshine finds herself in a battle for her Mums life, against the unbelievable, and one of her only allies is Nolan, a boy from school. He is also her saving grace, her warm place, and one person she can confide in.

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was a quick read and although there were moments that were spooky, it wasn't spooky enough to scare me. However it did make me think, and try to work out what the hauntings were about and solve the mystery.

As The Haunting of Sunshine Girl progresses we learn something about Sunshine that she never expected, and it did take a while for it to sink in. But once she finally accepts this new truth she does what she can to save the lives of people she loves.
One thing that I really liked was the relationship between Sunshine and her Mum, it's not one I have with my own, I was Daddy's girl, but from the special moments they spend together, to things that they do to relax really made me smile. I also love Sunshine's dress sense and personality. She may not wear the most up to date fashion but she makes it work for her. Her friendship with Nolan starts out slow, but I like how they come to rely on each other, and are able to share secrets about their family that no-one else would understand.

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl is based on a YouTube channel which I have yet to actually see, but after reading the book I am very interested in seeing the videos, and also finding out if they reveal a little something about what is to come.

Final Verdict
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl is a great debut and I wish I had the next book in my hands, especially after the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...