Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Mini Review: Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally


Title: Things I Can't Forget
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Hundred Oaks
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: 1st March 2013
Rating: 3.5 stars

Tell Me About It
Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different...

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt - with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy...
My Thoughts
Going into Things I Can't Forget it took me a while to recognise who Kate was, and in all honesty I wasn't initially too impressed with her. She is judgmental and has no issues in sharing her feelings about things with others, even if it offends them, and even if it has nothing to do with her.

Kate is going to camp as a counselor, it's been years since she last went but she needs to do this for applications and to help her friend. At camp there are faces she recognises, and some faces from previous book that I recognised. Emily, Kate's friend, has been kicked out of her house for getting pregnant and not keeping the baby, and Kate feels guilty for helping by going with Emily. At camp she is looking for God to forgive her and to forgive Emily.
Matt is an old friends of Kate's from camp when they were children, and I loved seeing them strike up a friendship again, as adults. But Kate is holding back, still stuck on her beliefs. I like how Matt is with Kate, he treats her like a friend and I love his quirk about wearing no shoes. He is caring and although he doesn't necessarily share the same attitude as Kate, he takes most of it in his stride.

Things I Can't Forget was a book that quickly changed my opinions on characters. My feelings towards Kate faded fast, and I did begin to feel sorry for her. The environment she is brought up in didn't really help in her outlook on things, and I suppose being around the judgements of others will rub off on her, affecting her own feelings. Things I Can't Forget was another fast read for me, and I did enjoy this one more than I expected to.

Final Verdict
A great addition to this series and gives us a better look into the other side of the fence in terms of beliefs and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...