Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Review: Black Horizon [Gemini Force One #1] by M.G. Harris


Title: Black Horizon
Author: M.G. Harris
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Gemini Force One #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Orion Children’s Books
Publication Date: 2nd April 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
After the tragic death of his father, Ben Carrington's mother, Caroline, teams up with entrepreneur, Jason Truby, to found an elite, top-secret international rescue organization - Gemini Force.

But when disaster strikes and Caroline is killed on a rescue mission, 16-year-old Ben is determined to continue her work with the Gemini Force team. As Ben fights to earn his place, can he prove he has what it takes to face dangerous situations and save lives?

My Thoughts
When I first heard about Black Horizon there were a few things that piqued my interest. The synopsis of the book sounded right up my street, the cover is simple yet dramatic, but it's an idea from Gerry Anderson, creator of Thunderbirds, which I watched religiously growing up, there was no way I was going to turn down the chance to review this one. Reading Black Horizon you can see how some of the ideas cross over and this will appeal to fans of the old Thunderbirds, but also fans of the new updated version too.
After the death of his Father, Ben and his Mum are at a loss on what to do. After a daring rescue (more about that in a bit) together, they come up with an idea to form a rescuer team, after months of training this idea is quickly quashed, and that is when Jason Truby steps in to help.

The beginning chapters of Black Horizon have you on tenterhooks, and on the edge of your seat....or roof in this case. With a death defying jump out of a plane for a mid air rescue, then some amazing rescue work from Ben and his Mum on top of one of the tallest buildings in the world, with only some ropes and climbing equipment to save them. After that amazing introduction we are quickly taken back to the reality of the situation, and what Jason has in store for Ben and his Mum, Gemini Force One.

Gemini Force One is a secret rescue agency, placed for convenience near USA for hurricanes and natural disasters, in an island that isn't subject to maritime laws....very convenient. The headquarters for Gemini Force One has a secret landing bay, that comes up from the water. They have some top spec equipment for the vehicles, the crew, and although I want to tell you more about them, I want you to discover them yourself.

Now that the important bits are over with, I'm going to share with you what I thought of Black Horizon. From the minute I began reading I was hooked, I loved seeing how different aspects were used to create the book, but also the added touch of the Thunderbirds link, this made it so easy for me to imagine what things looked like, or how they worked.
Black Horizon was an enjoyable read, there was enough action to keep me interested, but just the right amount of information passed on to the reader to explain who Gemini force are, what they do, and give us glimpses into how they work. The naming of Gemini Force One is also explained, and I thought it was a unique way to do this. I loved not knowing hat would happen on the next page, and turning over to find a new machine, a new place, or even a new mission. I really could not read this book fast enough, the only problem I had was trying to put the names to the people and how he met them.

Final Verdict
A promising start to a new series, I can't wait to see what happens next for Gemini Force One.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...