Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Review: Control [Shift #2] By Kim Curran


Title: Control
Author: Kim Curran
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Shift #2
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Publication Date: 6th August 2013
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Scott Tyler is not like other teenagers. With a single thought he can alter reality around him. And he can stop anyone else from doing the same.

That's why he's so important to ARES, the secret government agency that regulates other kids like him: Shifters.

They've sent him on a mission. To track down the enigmatic Frank Anderson. An ex-Shifter who runs a project for unusual kids - as if the ability to change your every decision wasn't unusual enough. But Anderson and the kids have a dark secret. One that Scott is determined to discover.

As his obsession with discovering the truth takes him further away from anyone he cares about, his grip on reality starts to weaken. Scott realises if he can't control his choices, they'll control him.

My Thoughts
Being a book hoarder and having an ever growing TBR pile makes it so much easier for me to finish books without the huge wait for each new installment. I picked up Shift and Control together, with the intention of reading them before attending YALC. That plan failed spectacularly, but it also meant I could tackle this duo together, and have the next one waiting in my hands.

Going into a second book in a series is always risky. You never know if it will live up to your expectations or completely let you down. With Control there was not a single speck of doubt in my mind, the minute you start you are thrown back into Scott's world with a bang. It's high action, fast paced, and doesn't let you stop till the very last page.

Control picks up short time after shift. After the events that happened in Shift, ARES now has a new person in charge, and Scott and Aubrey have the job of hunting down the subjects of Project Ganymede and taking them into custody, this job also earns Scott the nickname 'Pylon' which I thought was hilarious, The shifting world has gone crazy, and with Scott's ability to remember the shifts and events that have been changed, you are able to experience the craziness of the shifts, feel the loss of friends and loved ones along with him.

The more I read these books the more I find myself falling into the world and I find it hard to come back out again. I love how the characters still seem real, and are likeable, even with this ability that they have. I think Kim has done a great job of making the average teenager super, without making them unapproachable. I love how Scott still makes mistakes, that he isn't perfect, but that he tries to do the right thing.

I love the twists that Kim has put into place with Control, the new characters, the added twist to make it harder for ARES, especially Scott. The ending, what an ending it was. I couldn't believe what I was reading, I wanted to throw the book across the room with what I had read!!!!!

Final Verdict
Control is just as amazing as Shift was, and I am also so happy to be able to read the next book now without the huge wait I would have had to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...