Friday, 22 May 2015

Don't Judge Me


Don't Judge Me......more like Don't Judge Books. But I do. I will openly admit that I judge books by thier covers, even before I have read the synopsis.

Just picture the scene...you are walking through a book shop, packed to the ceiling with books of every genre, shape, and size, when suddenly a truly amazing cover catches your eye. It is a work of art, a masterpiece, and you know you HAVE to have this book in your hands right now.
In a parallel dimension, this book has a different cover altogether. Gone is the sparkle, gone is the amazing attention to detail to bring the protagonist to life, gone are the bright colours, and in it's place is a dull, badly drawn picture of a rabbit....and there aren't even any rabbits in the book. This book now sits sadly on the shelf, overshadowed by all of the fantastic other books around it that catch your eye. You walk past, never once glancing at this poor lonely book.

I have been proven wrong occasionally, mostly the UK version of a books has been released before the USA, I've read the book and loved it, but I much prefer the USA cover. Very rarely the book will be a diamond that has yet to shed its outer layer (a.k.a bad cover) but the story itself has been amazing.

I know it's wrong to judge a book by it's cover, but it's so hard not to. For me a book has to be pretty, and even though I'm not a girly girl, I love covers with amazing dresses on them. They have to be bright, colourful, sparkly (if relevant to the story, and the more sparkle the better), and the cover has to represent what is in the story itself.


So, my question to you is........

Do you judge a book by it's cover? What are your requirements for a great cover?

2 comments:

  1. I most definitely do! To be fair as long as it is not a cover drawn by the author or author's children, or a really bad graphic designer, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty, too! I'm a sucker for gorgeous covers! Of course, I also read the blurb and if it interests me, I'm in. :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...