Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Mini Review: Gypsy Girl by Kathryn James


Title: Gypsy Girl
Author: Kathryn James
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Walker Books
Publication Date: 7th May 2015
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
Sammy Jo has a secret; it's how she's paying for her sister's extravagant wedding. But all her plans go wrong after she gets in a fight with some local thugs to save rich-boy Gregory. Now local bad guy McCloud is after her. Gypsy Girl Sammy Jo may be strong, fast and tough, even in heels, but this time she's met her match. And the guys who are after her are nearly as dangerous as her forbidden love for Gregory.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Gypsy Girl at a blogger event last year I really liked the sound of it and looked forward to its publication. As soon as I could I picked up Gypsy Girl and began reading.

One of the things I enjoyed about Gypsy Girl was seeing the different side to Sammy Jo from the one her family knows, I liked that she was a fighter, that didn't rely on anyone to provide for her, that the money she made went for her sisters wedding, (who I thought was one of the most selfish characters I know). She is tough and not afraid to fight for what she believes in, either standing up for herself or for friends. She was a refreshing change in this culture, not a flashy, blinged out gypsy girl, but an average one. I really like how the title of the book also reflects this other side to Sammy Jo, Gypsy Girl being her fighter name in the illegal fights she does.

However, after the first few chapters I quickly lost interest. While I do like how we see some of this culture, both from thier side and on the receiving end of the abuse and distrust about them, I felt like there just wasn't enough in the plot itself to keep me interested, and it wasn't until towards the end of the book that I found interest again.

Final Verdict
Gypsy Girl interested me in a few parts, but overall I wasn't too interested in what happened to the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one that much. The blurb makes it seem like an interesting read. Too bad it couldn't hold your interest throughout. Thanks for your honest feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...