Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses [A Court of Thorns and Roses #1] by Sarah J. Maas


Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Publication Date: 5th May 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price.

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about A Court of Thorns and Roses I knew I had to read it, It didn't matter that I didn't know much about the book, I just knew I had to read more of Sarah's work.

Feyre is a hunter and provider to her family, her dad has been injured and her sisters to stubborn to go out, barely doing jobs at home. Her last promise to her Mum was to look after the others, so Feyre does. Hunting and gathering what she can for food, and trading for money to buy food.
That is until Feyre hunts and kills a wolf, and ends up with a very angry beast at her door. It is then that she realises she definitely killed a faerie. A life for a life is part of the treaty, and given the choice between instant death or going to Prythian to live her life, Feyre chooses Prythian with every intention to escape and go back home as soon as possible.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a twist on Beauty and the Beast, but this is so much more. The minute I began reading I fell into the world, and only for the fact I had to work, and eat and sleep, I would have finished reading this one in a day. I love how full the world that Sarah has created is, full of magic, or history and depth, everything that is there has a reason and a history behind it, from the way the land is divided, even down to the wall that was built.

A Court of Thorns and Roses was an interesting read, several times when reading I would have an idea of what would happen next and how certain actions would play out, but they never did, in fact things turned out in the opposite of what I expected, from the moment Feyre enters Prythian, to the moment she leaves.
Prythian is not a nice place to live for the fae, but for a human it's possibly the worst place. Feyre, stuck in Prythain is at a loss, she misses her family, she worries over them and their chance of survival, even with the promise off Tamlin that they are well cared for. Her initial days are filled with anger, and sadness, but she eventually comes to the realisation that she has to stay, for her families sake, and soon settles into this new life.

There are a number of fae in the pages of A Court of Thorns and Roses, and while Tamlin is one that stands out, so do Lucien and Rhys for various reasons. Lucien I was quite happy for Feyre to think of all the ways she could injure him, but as we get to know him I did warm up to him, especially throughout the final chapters of the book. Rhys was a pain in the ass, he is slimy and I always felt he had ulterior motives for every single thing that he does. However, I do admire him for what he does for Feyre, but the way her trapped her was not nice at all.

A Court of Thorns and Roses was an amazing read, and ended up being so much more than I expected. After that spectacular finale I am desperate to find out what happens next in this world.

Final Verdict
Fans of Sarah need to read this book, I loved every page of it and I really do need to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...