Sunday, 31 May 2015

Review: Fire & Flood [Fire & Flood #1] by Victoria Scott


Title: Fire & Flood
Author: Victoria Scott
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Fire & Flood #1
Source: Unsolicited from publisher
Publisher: Chicken House Books
Publication Date: 6th March 2014
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life—and her own.

Tella's brother is dying. He's got cancer, and Tella is helpless to save him. Or so she thought. When an invitation arrives for Tella to compete in the Brimstone Bleed, a deadly competition that will lead her through treacherous jungle and scorching desert, she doesn't think twice. Because the prize is a cure to any illness. But Tella will be facing more than just the elements.
My Thoughts
Fire and Flood has been on my shelves for over a year waiting to be read, and I kept putting it off. But in my defense I had two valid reasons for this. One of them is it sounded too much like another popular YA book. The second reason is that I didn't think I was emotionally ready to read this, knowing that Tella's brother is dying of cancer, especially as I lost my Dad to the same thing. But after hearing some great things about Fire & Flood I knew it was time to bite the bullet and pick this one up.
When I began reading I was happy to see that there was more to Cody's sickness than cancer, so this made me feel better about the whole dying situation, and gave me the extra incentive to keep going, knowing that there was a whole lot more going on behind the scenes.

When Tella receives the invite to the Brimstone Bleed, a contest where the winner gets the Cure, her parents are secretive, and reluctant for her to find out what this mysterious white ear piece is. But after some secret snooping, Tella finds out what it's all about. In order to enter the competition,Tella has to follow instructions. Be at a meeting point at a set time and pick her Pandora, which is initially in the form of an egg. Secondly she has to get to a second meeting point and follow more instructions. Once all the tasks complete, Tella finds herself in a jungle, with all other contenders.

Fire & Flood was not what I expected, but I mean that in the best possible way. I went into this expecting it to be an OK read, that I would like it a bit, but instead I've finished reading and found myself completely in love with this world, so much so that I had the next book purchased for my kindle app in the time it took to get to amazon. I love how this is a world that we know, but also has it's own unique things to make it a different world.

When I began reading Fire & Flood I did feel sorry for Tella having to move for her brothers sake, but as I read more I discovered the real reason for the move, although it isn't openly stated. I love the relationship she has with her brother, but I really disliked her parents for trying to hide the device from Tella, she at least deserved the option to take part. As we meet more characters in Fire & Flood I quickly made up my mind who I liked and disliked, and I have to admit that Guy was in my bad books for his attitude and aloofness, that was until we got to know him more.

Fire & Flood took me on a spectacular journey, one where I was left shocked over certain events, completely surprised over another that I did not even see coming, and towards the end, crying over the loss and the sadness. Although this book took me a few days to read thanks to work, I could not put it down when it was in my hands. I wish I had read this one sooner, but I'm glad that I can now jump into the next book without having to wait a whole year for it.

Final Verdict
Victoria Scott has done an amazing job at drawing me into the world of Fire & Flood, and I can't wait to get stuck into the next book. This is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...