Monday, 18 May 2015

Review: The Girl at Midnight [The Girl at Midnight] by Melissa Grey


Title: The Girl at Midnight
Author: Melissa Grey
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Girl at Midnight #1
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: ATOM
Publication Date: 28th April 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.

Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.

But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about The Girl at Midnight I knew it was something I wanted to read, and although it took a while for me to sit down and read this book, i quickly fell into this world.

The beginning of the book introduces us to The Ala, and a small child, hidden away in a library. Ten years later we discover that this child is called Echo, and lives in a library, hidden away in a secret room thanks to Ala's magical assistance. As we read more we see that Echo was taken in by The Ala, and although she lives away from the Avicen, she is still part of thier community, and even has her own friends and a boyfriend with them.

The Girl at Midnight is told in alternating points of view, so not only do we get Echo's side, but also Caius's, the Prince of the Drakharin, and a few others as the story progresses. I don't want to say too much about the story itself as I want you to be left with a few surprises, but I'm going to try and share my thoughts without spoiling it for you.

Caius and Echo are after the same thing, The Firebird, this item will end the war, the fighting, the bloodshed, but only for the person who finds it first. What started out as individual journeys, soon sees this mismatch duo working together, using each others abilities and wits to find the Firebird.

The Girl at Midnight was a book that kept me engrossed throughout, I wanted to know what the next clue was and where it would lead them, what they would find there, and how it would all end. I really enjoyed taking this journey with Echo, and I have to say it was an instant love for her. I love her personality, her witty remarks, and her keep going attitude. There was a part within the pages of The Girl at Midnight that Echo does something that can't be taken back, and while I understand the reason for it, I did feel sorry for Echo in the aftermath of it all, this is not something she can go back on, there are no take backs or returns, and this action not only puts her life in jeopardy, but even her return home.

As the story came to an end, that was when I was shocked, I did not see it coming at all and having it revealed to me was a surprise, but as it is explained it did make sense.

Final Verdict
The Girl at Midnight is a great debut book from Melissa, and I can't wait to see what happens next for Echo, Caius, and the rest of thier group of misfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...