Thursday, 7 May 2015

Review: The Wicked Will Rise [Dorothy Must Die #2] by Danielle Paige


Title: The Wicked Will Rise
Author: Danielle Paige
Author Info: Website|Tumblr|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Dorothy Must Die #2
Source: Publisher
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 7th May 2015
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
In this dark, high-octane sequel to the New York Times bestselling Dorothy Must Die, Amy Gumm must do everything in her power to kill Dorothy and free Oz.


To make Oz a free land again, Amy Gumm was given a mission: remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, steal the Scarecrow’s brain, take the Lion’s courage, and then Dorothy must die....

But Dorothy still lives. Now the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked has vanished, and mysterious Princess Ozma might be Amy’s only ally. As Amy learns the truth about her mission, she realizes that she’s only just scratched the surface of Oz’s past—and that Kansas, the home she couldn't wait to leave behind, may also be in danger. In a place where the line between good and evil shifts with just a strong gust of wind, who can Amy trust—and who is really Wicked?

My Thoughts
After finishing Dorothy Must Die I was eager to pick up the next installment and see what happens to Amy next in this new version of Oz. After just finishing reading The Wicked Will Rise I have to say that I was left somewhat disappointed.

I liked this new Oz that the author, Danielle, has created, and after the first book I couldn't wait to see what adventures came next, but to me The Wicked Will Rise felt more of a filler than an actual book. I wanted to see Amy exploring this new Oz, finding what she needed to do in order to kill Dorothy. I wanted more magic, more fighting, and although they were in the book, it just wasn't enough for me.

The Wicked Will Rise picks up with Amy escaping the Emerald City with Ollie and Maude. Together this duo take Amy to The Queendom of the Wingless Ones to see Lulu and see what help she can offer Amy. Before they arrive they have to confront the Lion, and this shows us how much Amy has learnt magic wise. Lulu is the Queen of the monkeys, and although she took a while to grow on me, I did love the way she spoke. From there, Amy sets out to find Polychrome to ask for her help in getting rid of Dorothy, and saving Oz from her reign of terror.

The time spent among the monkeys bored me, and I found myself skimming a few pages so I could get to the best bits faster. The journey to find Polychrome was interesting, seeing all the bits of magic that are now coming alive in Oz, the different paths to take, and the new faces. The ending could have been so much better, and although it does leave a small cliff hanger over what is going to happen next, I really don't think I will be picking it up to see what happens next. I think after the size of the first book I expected more from this, and it just didn't happen. This could have easily been a two part series rather than a three, even if it meant waiting an extra year for it all to be completed.

Final Verdict
The Wicked Will Rise was an OK read, with both good and disappointing moments. Unfortunately, it didn't interest me enough to want to know what happens in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...