Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Audiobook Mini Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson


Title: Since You've Been Gone
Author: Morgan Matson
Author Info: Website|Tumblr|Facebook|Twitter
Narrator: Suzy Jackson
Running Time: 12 hours 49 minutes
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 8th May 2014
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?
My Thoughts
I have loved Morgan's previous books, but it took me a while before picking this one up, and that was purely due to the fact that the cover didn't match my other two books. Desperate to read it, I decided to pick up the audiobook with a credit and promptly forgot about it until now.

Since You've Been Gone was just what I expected from Morgan's writing, and I wish I had gotten to this audiobook sooner. I love the whole idea behind the story itself, the disappearance of Sloane, the list, and the burning question of What happened to Sloane, and would Emily ever find her again?

The Plot
Like I said above, I love the idea behind the story itself, and how this one measly bit of paper with a list on it can change someone's summer, can bring them new friends, and really let them explore themselves without relying on the crutch of a friendship. Since You've Been Gone was addictive, and had me turning my iPod on for 'just one more hour', after I purposefully went to bed early to get some actual sleep.

I really like how the list plays a role in the book itself, each chapter is a number off the list, a task to be completed, so we know what is coming up, but are unsure on how it's completed. I love some of the things that had to be completed, one of them broke my heart when Emily realised how it had already been crossed off, and some of them just had me laughing out loud.  So, you want to know about the lit itself, well take a look below at what Emily has to do, in the hopes that she finds where Sloan is, or even a clue to her whereabouts.
  1. Kiss a stranger. 
  2. Go skinny-dipping. 
  3. Steal something. 
  4. Break something.
  5. Penelope.
  6. Ride a dern horse, ya cowpoke. 
  7. 55 S. Ave. Ask for Mona. 
  8. The backless dress. And somewhere to wear it. 
  9. Dance until dawn. 
  10. Share some secrets in the dark. 
  11. Hug a Jamie. 
  12. Apple picking at night. 
  13. Sleep under the stars.
Although Since You've Been Gone is mainly about Emily's relationship with Sloane, past and present, we also get to see some new ones forming. Collins, Frank, and Dawn are just a few new faces that Emily really gets to know, and with thier help she is able to complete the list, but still have a lot of fun, One person who really stood out for me was Beckett. I love his obsession with scaling and climbing things, the indoor climbing incident is still ingrained into my memory,  and just being an all round great brother.

The Narration
The narrator of Since You've Been Gone is Suzy Jackson and I think she was perfect for it. Her voice was easy to understand and absorb, making the listening experience that much better. He voices for other character were easy to distinguish from one another, which also made it easy to see whoa was 'talking' at the time.

Final Verdict
Since You've Been Gone was a great book to listen to, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it and I am already looking forward to seeing what else Morgan has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...