Saturday, 6 June 2015

Mini Review: The Offering [The Pledge #3] by Kimberly Derting


Title: The Offering
Author: Kimberly Derting
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Pledge #3
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Publication Date: 27th January 2014
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Charlie has grown up in a world that is dark and violent. A land fiercely ruled by an old and bitter queen and where classes were strictly divided by the language they speak. Charlie may have become the sovereign of Ludania, but the old Queen Sabara and other enemies lurk, biding their time to strike. In the final chapter of the Pledge trilogy, the battle comes to an epic conclusion.
My Thoughts
The Offering is the third and final book in the Pledge trilogy, and is also one that has been sitting on my shelf since publication. I began reading with some trepidation, would I remember what had happened previously? Would the ending of the book be something I wanted?

The Offering picks up after the events of the previous book, and it did take me a few pages to remember who was who, but I quickly fell back into this world, excited to see what would happen next for Charlie. The Offering was a good finale to this series, and I am glad to see it come to an end the way it did (with only a slight niggle that I will elaborate on). But the journey to get there was hard for all parties involved.
Seeing Charlie away from the palace, away from her followers, her guards, and getting to see her as an unremarkable traveler was interesting. We see her for who she was and how others see her without knowing she is the Queen. She helps others when needed, even at the risk of reducing thier own rations. But she is a fighter, and whether her rash decision to do what she does was right at the time, it was something that needed to be done at some point, and at least she held the reins for a short while.

The Offering was full of drama, excitement, and violence, with the war being fought on many fronts it was hard to see who would actually be victorious once it was over. There are lives lost, which I did cry about, and others have had their lives changed irrecoverably, but the final outcome was something that needed to be done.

Final Verdict
Overall The Offering was a great read, my only niggle was the last page, the way it ended I wanted to see a little bit more for this character and thier future. Charlies is set in stone but the other's is hinted at but not elaborated on. I may be being greedy but a chapter set a few years later would have given me the definite answers I wanted.

1 comment:

  1. I still halfway through the second book but it sounds like the series has a promising ending :) Great review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...