Thursday, 23 July 2015

Beyond the Books :Your Dream Career (or what do you do for a living)

Beyond the Blog is a weekly meme where I throw out a topic (mostly non-bookish), and you guys blog about it. Come back here and share the link to your blog post, and we all have fun learning about each other.
[Hosted by Karen of KissinBlueKaren]
Todays topic is Your Dream Career (or what do you do for a living)

Growing up I went through the usual career choices...vet, hairdresser, and back to vet. But as I grew older and got into senior school, the decision became more final and my choice for career was Nursery Nurse.

Ideally this would have been to work in a school nursery, have holidays off, and have a decent pay. I did my exams in school and got the grades I needed to do my BTEC National Diploma in Child Studies (Nursery Nursing) in college. This took two years to complete, with three days a week spent in college, and two days a week spent in placement. This qualification gave me the stepping stone I needed to go to university and get a recognised teaching qualification that could have put me into a school nursery. But after years of education, and then another two years of college I'd had enough and was satisfied with what I had. I left college age 18. Over the course of time I have taken myself back to college to update my qualification to a newer one, which only took 18 months.

It took a few months for me to get work, at first it was agency work, travelling to local nurseries and covering whatever shifts they needed covering. My first full time work started mid 2000, and I have been working full time ever since. I've gone from travelling on the bus and hour to and from work each day, to only working about 25-30 minutes walk way. I'm also now a Childcare Practitioner, which is the same thing as a Nursery Nurse.

I love what I do. I have worked with a variety of ages from 3 months up to 10 years of age, and I currently work with 3-24 month olds. Yes we have to do some dirty and smelly jobs, but getting to see the babie's smiling faces, first steps, and the first time they call your name (which as ranged from Fish, Mum, and Nanny) makes it all worth while.

My question for you now is what is YOUR dream career or what do you do for a living?

1 comment:

  1. I used to work in child care, and working with children up to 12 months was my favorite thing. I don't like all the discipline required for older children. It sounds like you got your dream career.
    Thanks for playing along this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...