Friday, 3 July 2015

Mini Review: The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson by Paige Toon


Title: The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
Author: Paige Toon
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Jessie Jefferson #1
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date: 30th January 2014
Rating: 3.5 stars

Tell Me About It
Meet Jessie, the daughter of Johnny Jefferson, as featured in Johnny Be Good and Baby Be Mine…
My fifteenth birthday was the worst day of my life, and it's inconceivable to think that any single day in my future will ever be as bad. My mum was killed in a freak accident on her way to pick up my cake. Even when there was still no sign of her after two hours later, and my friends started to arrive at our house, it never occurred to me that she wouldn't be coming back.
That was six months ago. My mum died without telling me who my real dad was. And for a while I hated her for it. I thought she's taken the secret of my father's identity with her forever. But she didn't. Holy hell, she didn't. Because three weeks ago I found out the truth. And I'm still reeling from the shock of it. My dad is none other than Johnny Jefferson, mega famous rock star and one-time serial womaniser. And now I'm on my way to LA to meet him and his family.
My tiny little world has just got a whole lot bigger…
My Thoughts
I picked up this one a while ago, and I recently needed to change up my books I am reading so I decided to pick this one up for a few reasons, the main one being so that I could read book 2 without spoilers.

The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson initially took me a while to get into this story, I found it hard to relate to Jessie,I understand she has been through a lot, and has experienced a huge loss, but to act to selfish and spoilt was wrong, especially as she wasn't the only one dealing with this grief. My impression of her didn't really change until she goes to visit her Dad, and I think that was because she was so out of her comfort zone, and her league, that she felt lost, and alone. However her initial meeting didn't go as planned, and I do feel sympathy towards her for having to deal with the backlash of her first impressions.

Overall The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson was an enjoyable read, I much preferred the Jessie that went to USA rather than the Jessie we are first introduced to. I did feel sorry for how she was treated, I think she wanted to believe she was fine, but I think she went into her friendships with blinkers one, she seemed slightly naive and way out of her depth around the richer, popular teens her age.

Final Verdict
Although The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson had an average start for me, I did warm up to Jessie. I liked how the story played out and I'm excited to join her on another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...