Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Mini Review: When You're Back [Rosemary Beach #12] by Abbi Glines


Title: When You're Back
Author: Abbi Glines
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Series: Rosemary Beach #12
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date: 30th June 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Love is a journey - Rosemary Beach is the destination…
The future is bright for Reese Ellis. She has Mase Colt-Manning, the man of her dreams, and a family she didn't know existed until her long-lost father arrived on her doorstep in Rosemary Beach. Everything is finally falling into place.
While Reese is visiting her new family in Chicago, Mase spends time with his "cousin," Aida, who has worshipped him since childhood. Unrelated by blood, Mase and Aida have been raised to think of each other as family. But when Reese returns, she can tell something isn't quite. Aida clearly resents Reese and excels at manipulative little games. And though Mase is unsuspecting, Reese knows Aida doesn't love him like a cousin should…
My Thoughts
When You're Back was a pre order for me, and I've been waiting since last year for it to finally arrive on my iPad. I first fell in love with this series late in the game, but early into the series (if that makes sense) and I have eagerly anticipated the arrival of each new addition to this series. While I do have my favourite characters, I love seeing new people added to this group of family and friends, and seeing who they will partner up with.

I read When You're Back in a few hours, and while I am finally glad I got to see more Mase and learn a bit more about him, I was left disappointed with the story as a whole. Mase definitely grew in my eyes, especially compared to the previous book, and what he does for Reese is beyond words, however I do think his life of living on the farm, away from the fame of his father, sheltered him, and even I could see the feelings that Aida had for him were most definitely not platonic. I honestly wanted to punch her lights out on several occasions, and I not a violent person. I also think he could have tried a bit harder to be there for Reese more, rather than running off to fi every single problem for everyone else.
Reese was someone who I loved the moment I met her, and her whole personality and attitude just shines through the pages. She has no evil intent for anyone, and makes it perfectly clear to her unwanted admirer that she is taken and not interested. This admirer was also not what I expected, and the little twist in the plot that involved him blew me away.

However, even with all of the above going on, I felt like there was no real spark to the story. With a series as big as this one I understand it's hard to find unique, interesting things to keep the readers wanting more, and for me When You're Back this lacked that spark I was looking for, the uniqueness of the characters and the plot itself. When you take out the admirer and the twist, When You're Back just feels like its all be done before, I want to read something new, not something that feels like I've read it already.

Final Verdict
This was a really mixed book and review for me. I do still love this series, I just hope that the next installment has something to keep me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...