Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Review: Armada by Ernest Cline


Title: Armada
Author: Ernest Cline
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Cornerstone Digital
Publication Date: 16th July 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure.

But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe.

And then he sees the flying saucer.

Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.

No, Zack hasn’t lost his mind. As impossible as it seems, what he’s seeing is all too real. And his skills—as well as those of millions of gamers across the world—are going to be needed to save the earth from what’s about to befall it.

It’s Zack’s chance, at last, to play the hero. But even through the terror and exhilaration, he can’t help thinking back to all those science-fiction stories he grew up with, and wondering: Doesn’t something about this scenario seem a little…familiar?
My Thoughts
I read Ready Player One and devoured it, I could not get enough. So when I found out that Ernest Cline was writing another book I knew I had to read it, and also made sure my brother knew about it too. The countdown to getting my hands on Armada was a slow and painful wait, and once it arrived on my iPad I could not wait to begin.

The anticipation for the release of Armada was immeasurable, but after the great beginning I was quickly disappointed. I love the idea behind the story itself, and bonus points for the popular culture references that I knew about (possibly showing my age in most of them), but the plot felt similar to other books I've read, it just wasn't unique for me, and after the awesomeness that was Ready Player One, I expected to be drawn into this new world so fast and find it hard to put down. Instead it has taken me over a week to read this book....a very long week.

Armada was an interesting mix for me. While there were parts I loved, I also felt like there was a lot of information overload, and I did struggle to try and keep all of this information into its own little compartment inside my head, and even then things got confused. I think a lot of my mixed feelings came from the anticipation of having a new book and it not living up to my expectations, it put a damper on things that I just couldn't recover from. The plot felt similar to another book which also added to my apprehension of Armada.

However, I really liked the characters and thier personalities, and how they all gelled together so easily to defend Earth. The gadgets and technology used was amazing, and I really wish we had some of that in our hands now...the friendly stuff, not the dodgy alien stuff.

Final Verdict
Overall Armada was an enjoyable read which mostly kept me reading. While I think the plot felt too similar to others for me, I did like the idea behind it and how it all came to an end.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I am currently reading Ready Player One and it is really good, think for me it will end up being better than Armada!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...