Monday, 6 July 2015

Review: Hide Me [Silver Strands #1] by Lexi Scott


Title: Hide Me
Author: Lexi Scott
Author Info: Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: New Adult
Series: Silver Strands #1
Source: Author
Publisher: Entangled Embrace
Publication Date: 7th July 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Sometimes it's easier to run...

Ripped apart by guilt and grief, nineteen-year-old Whit Conrad grabs her stuff and runs from her super-conservative home and family in Pennsylvania and hauls ass for sunny California. All she wants is escape. Now she has a craptastic apartment, a job at a tattoo parlour, and even a friend-who's-mostly-benefits. Then she meets a sexy, inked, surfer-dude who has the potential of capsizing everything...

Deo Beckett is adrift. Underemployed and over-boozing, Deo knows he should be doing something more with his life. Being something more. All it takes is a pin-up hottie with a smart mouth—and a bruised soul—to force Deo to start looking below the surface. To wonder if there's more to life than being a beach bum. Now he's falling for Whit...and hard.

But Whit ran from home for a reason, and she'll go to any lengths to keep Deo from learning the truth...
My Thoughts
Before I begin this review, for those of you who don't know, Hide Me is a revamped, repackaged, version of Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt. I stalk actively follow these amazing authors on all social media, so when I found out the the Silver Strand series had been picked up by a publisher, I was not only super happy for them, but also excited to read this book again, to take a dive into the series with fresh eyes. As you can imagine, when Hide Me arrived in my inbox, my current reads were pushed aside to make room for Hide Me, which I began reading the instant it arrived and stayed up way past a respectable bed time to finish this.

Hide Me is the story of Whit and Deo. Whit has moved from her home state of Pennsylvania to California, to escape her old life, to escape the memories, the looks, the feeling of losing part of you, and to live a new life for her brother Wakefield, a life he would never get to live. She has secrets she is determined to hide, determined to make sure no one knows of her past and to hold onto the memories.
Deo is born and bred Californian, he is a surfer, and a very laid back person, so laid back he is 'professionally undeclared' in the employment status. He is determined to be in Whit's life, to have her by his side, but is firmly placed in the 'friend zone', but he is finding it hard to keep this friendship platonic, and fight his feelings for her.

Going into Hide Me I knew the beginning, the middle, and the end. I knew the ups and downs that the book would take me on, but I forgot about the tears of sadness I would cry. But I also knew there would be added extras to this book, and although the I thought I knew this story inside out, upside down, and back to front, I only spotted a few new additions, the rest being well hidden, but that being said, it's been that long since my last re-read it was like reading this book for the very first time.

I love how Deo's personality shines thought the pages, he comes across lazy and in motivated, but he is sweet, caring, and very attentive in the moments that matter. He goes out of his way to change his lifestyle, to prove that he is worthy of whit, that he does deserve her love, and while I do think some of his plans are slightly creeper style, and possibly occasionally stalkerish, he does it with the best intentions at heart, foolishly overstepping a lot of boundaries. Whit is someone who can come across as aloof, out of reach, and very independent, but as she starts to relax in deos company we can see the fracture in her facade as the truth begins to show.

The world that Lexi Scott creates is one that makes me miss California so much, but getting to visit it within the pages makes me feel slightly better. I love the characters, the diversity.....basically everything about this world, and I can't wait to dive into the next book and catch up with the rest of this family.

Final Verdict
Hide Me is a perfect summer read, full of hot boys, sun, sand, and lots of sex. Lexi Scott has a way of drawing you in, letting you picture the scenes and really feel like you are there with the characters. I'll be the first to admit I am not a summer person at all, but I would gladly sacrifice some snow to spend a day or three in the beach with Deo, getting some serous hands on surfing lessons ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...