Friday, 24 July 2015

Review: Ink and Bone [The Great Library #1] by Rachel Caine


Title: Ink and Bone
Author: Rachel Caine
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Historical Fiction
Series: The Great Library #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Allison and Busby
Publication Date: 7th July 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
In an exhilarating new series, New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine rewrites history, creating a dangerous world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived the test of time.…

Ruthless and supremely powerful, the Great Library is now a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.

Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family, who are involved in the thriving black market. Jess has been sent to be his family’s spy, but his loyalties are tested in the final months of his training to enter the Library’s service.

When he inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn.…
My Thoughts
I first heard of Ink and Bone through an email subscription for the author, there were sample chapters on her website so I went ahead and read them, then needed to know more. When Ink and Bone arrived at my house I could not wait to dive into this new series.

When I began reading Ink and Bone I was eager to pick up where I had left off, and find out more about Jess and his family. However, what I thought was going to be an unputdownable read, ended up being a book that I varied between struggling and loving.

I love the idea behind the story, that books are a special item, and anyone caught with them is killed (although I like it more as a story, than a possibility) the Library finds out who has copies of books, and sends thier postulants, people in training to work at the Library, and scholars in to retrieve the books. Jess as the protagonist was an easy person to like. His family life isn't the best, and his family business isn't really what Jess wants to do with his life, so when he finds out he has been put forward to compete against others for a rare job at the library he is excited, but wary that his father will use this position to his advantage, having someone on the inside to collect the rare books for them to smuggle. But he is determined to make sure his family doesn't come between his job, wanting to do his best and escape the life he doesn't want. He is unremarkable and is often looked down upon, but has family business has him prepared for a lot of tests thrown their way.

I also liked the mix of characters and personalities among the group, but I found it hard to really make a connection with them. They either didn't stand out enough for me to notice them, or their role is very short lived. One of the characters I disliked instantly, but as the story developed we get to see the reasoning behind thier actions, and by the time I had finished reading the last word I found I had grown to like them.

However, one thing I didn't expect was the size of the book. My proof copy was 440 pages, and after reading the book I can see why it's so long. There is a lot of world building, not only about the past and why this has come into place, but also getting to know the characters, and what they are meant to do. This took away a lot of the time that could have been used for the story alone, and I found it hard to concentrate on the plot when it went into too much detail.

Final Verdict
Overall, Ink and Bone was an interesting read and a promising start to a new series by Rachel Caine. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next to the characters I grew to love.

1 comment:

  1. I hope to be reading this book soon! I have heard a few mixed reviews, but most positive! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...