Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Review: Jonny Jakes Investigates the Hamburgers of Doom by Malcolm Judge


Title: Jonny Jakes Investigates the Hamburgers of Doom
Author: Malcolm Judge
Genre: Middle Grade
Source: Publicist
Publisher: Curious Fox
Publication Date: 4th June 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Meet Jonny Jakes, undercover reporter for banned school newspaper The Woodford Word. Nothing will stop his pursuit of the truth. Not teachers. Not parents. Not double detention. When a new head teacher arrives halfway through term, Jonny smells a rat. Teachers handing out sweets? All-you-can-eat hamburgers? He’s determined to get to the bottom of it, because Jonny Jakes investigates the same way he eats his hamburgers: with relish.
My Thoughts
Middle Grade books are new for me to review, but it's also very rare I read them, so when I was asked if I was interested in reviewing Jonny Jakes Investigates the Hamburgers of Doom it didn't take me long before I said yes.

I love the design of the cover, how its relevant to the story itself, but also appealing for the younger reader, it just screams fun. When I began reading I was also quick to notice the artwork within the pages, little sketches of the characters or a scene being mentioned or newspaper heading being imagined. I really liked this idea, making the words more relatable to the reader.

I don't want to say too much about the plot itself, part of it was what I expected, but other bits were a nice little addition to the story. I liked Jonny as a protagonist, and I enjoyed seeing him plan little schemes to get the info he needed for his stories in the paper. The way in which Jonny Jakes Investigates the Hamburgers of Doom is written doesn't usually work for me, but for this book it does. It makes Jonny feel more real and more his age than any other way of writing would. When I actually got time to sit and read this book, it was a quick read which is ideal for the age range it's aimed at.

Final Verdict
Jonny Jakes Investigates the Hamburgers of Doom was an enjoyable read for me, and definitely had me laughing a few times, but I think a younger reader would get a lot more enjoyment from this book. The crazy plot, the insane characters, the amazing sketches, all worked together well to make this book work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...